Sudden loss of network connection newer phone

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
I have been using a Google Pixel 7a since October with Google Fi and all worked flawlessly until yesterday afternoon. While driving home, it suddenly dropped data connection and got a No SIM Card detected notification. I restarted the phone...same thing. Went through the troubleshooting steps with the Google Fi app and it worked...for 5 seconds and happened again. Repeated the troubleshooting and it resolved and now it's fine. Never had it happen before with any phone or carrier. I'm pretty sure it's not the phone as I inserted the sim in a spare phone and got the same message.
What could cause that? Phone wasn't dropped nor was water or moisture an issue.

Likely the connection between T Mobile and the reseller (in this case Google). As you know I am not a fan of using a reseller or MVNO. IMO it's always a recipe for issues. And since for wife and I there is no other phone(s) I go straight to the source. Whether it's AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile. You get true service and no compromise

Likely the connection between T Mobile and the reseller (in this case Google). As you know I am not a fan of using a reseller or MVNO. IMO it's always a recipe for issues. And since for wife and I there is no other phone(s) I go straight to the source. Whether it's AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile. You get true service and no compromise
My wife's iPhone had no problem and signal strength was excellent as she was with me. I believe it was some sort of software glitch involving my phone(Pixel 7a) and it being registered correctly to the Google Fi account. The troubleshooting did not involve removing or touching the sim card. It was reconnecting the phone via wifi at home to my Google Fi account. I started out with an eSim but requested a physical Sim so I could use a spare 5g phone if I wanted or needed to.

I really like the MVNOs especially the pre-paid plans. I have used most of them by now as I always purchase my phones outright and never locked in and can shop carries by service and price. I have had Mint, Cricket, Red Pocket, Consumer Cellular, and probably more. Currently we are on ATT $300 / year which is $25/month for 16GB data, unlimited calls and texts. We had to switch from Cricket / T-Mobile when we moved because of coverage.

I really like the MVNOs especially the pre-paid plans. I have used most of them by now as I always purchase my phones outright and never locked in and can shop carries by service and price. I have had Mint, Cricket, Red Pocket, Consumer Cellular, and probably more. Currently we are on ATT $300 / year which is $25/month for 16GB data, unlimited calls and texts. We had to switch from Cricket / T-Mobile when we moved because of coverage.
Yes. Google Fi is T-Mobile...the same T-Mobile service I used for 20+ years. The same coverage and 5g...it's just cheaper and more straightforward than what T-Mobile has become. Also, when I call for tech support, a human answers within 1 minute. I bought the phone from Google Fi...free after 2 years billing credits. We have 3 phones on the plan.

I doubt it's the "same" coverage. I've seen it with friends who've told me "oh I have the same exact coverage" and while we're supposedly both on the "same network" friend's are DOA while I am full strength. The MVNOs don't give all the service of native IDC who they are. Seen it first hand. IN the case of say TM and AT&T, many times they use each others towers to fill in spots. So if you're on an AT&T MVNO you will only get AT&T "native" towers. As those agreements the actual carriers make don't follow through to an MVNO.
I can't afford to be dead in the water. And for my usage I see absolutely no cost advantage of using an MVNO.

Actually most of the towers are have been sold to 3rd parties and leased back to the phone companies and they now all share the same leased towers. Just found this: Almost 65% of all cell towers in the United States are owned by either American Tower, Crown Castle or SBA Communications. These are the “Big 3”” cell tower companies.

I doubt it's the "same" coverage. I've seen it with friends who've told me "oh I have the same exact coverage" and while we're supposedly both on the "same network" friend's are DOA while I am full strength. The MVNOs don't give all the service of native IDC who they are. Seen it first hand. IN the case of say TM and AT&T, many times they use each others towers to fill in spots. So if you're on an AT&T MVNO you will only get AT&T "native" towers. As those agreements the actual carriers make don't follow through to an MVNO.
I can't afford to be dead in the water. And for my usage I see absolutely no cost advantage of using an MVNO.
No. It's the same coverage as T-Mobile. That's a fact. Same dead spots too...at least in the areas we typically travel....Philadelphia metro area-Cape May County NJ and areas in between. In fact, Google Fi also includes the US Cellular network for roaming but that's for the more rural areas in the Midwest.

Last edited:

Back