Still No Tri-Tip <sigh>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
I'm worried about GregS's and Ken's comments about Trader Joe's tri...I have 1 of those I picked up....but from what I read from Kevin K and others, the TJ tri's can be hit or miss...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dean, I prob bought 10-12 from TJ's and only had one that was marginal. It was a little tough, but some of that has to do how done I cook mine to. I pull mine off indirect at 135 and then sear. I don't do mooing meat.
icon_biggrin.gif

I like TJ's tris and don't recall writing anything negative about them. Publix's can be spotty--and I do dissuade people from buying pre-marinated tris from TJ's, actually pre-marinated anything from anyone, because I think they're so-so at best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I like TJ's tris and don't recall writing anything negative about them. Publix's can be spotty--and I do dissuade people from buying pre-marinated tris from TJ's, actually pre-marinated anything from anyone, because I think they're so-so at best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, Kevin....I guess I was thinking of the more general comments about tri's, both marinated and not marinated, from TJ's...sorry !

The one I got from TJ's is not marinated. However, my wife is out of town for the next 2 weeks, so I was wondering if you'd recommend freezing it, or just keeping it in the fridge in its cyro ?

BTW, the wife will be in your neck of the woods
icon_smile.gif
Lake Placid, Sebring, and the Keys....

Dean...

She'll be in my woods while I'm in another! Today it's northern Calif and western Ore, then a couple days in Portland, then Las Vegas.

You can go either way on the tri. I usually just fridge. It'll wet age.

PICTURES

Picked-up some of the $1.99 tris in my area and I've got to say they look fantastic! I'm grilling one up for dinner tonight, just got done seasoning her and thought I'd share some pictures. I used SusieQs and will be doing over oak wine staves chunks. I'll update the pictures after dinner.

Larry,

Just for my education, is that what they mean by a "fat cap" ? IMO, it looks trimmed....fattier than what I cooked, but not what the pix on Chris' article shows as an "untrimmed" one...

Enjoy your dinner !

Dean....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Most 'real butchers' in the East will still not know what tri-tip is as most have never been exposed (nor required) to cut a side from scratch. It has been probably 20 years since swinging beef was shipped in any quantity. It happens, still, but it is quite rare. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

Going back through the many discussions about our East Coast tri's, I went back to the Treuth web site....on the "Wholesale" page, they discuss shipping "hanging", "swinging", or "rail" beef, as well as "Glatt Kosher", which I've seen mentioned in another thread recently.

Looks like we've found a "real" butcher, and we're lucky they have a retail store
icon_biggrin.gif

Dean...

Back