stepping outside my comfort zone and smoking a salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
Ok, so I thought maybe a smoked appetizer-type salmon would be a fun project. Ok, prolly would have been a better project YESTERDAY so I could already be eating it for brunch today, but I forgot to think of it yesterday, soooo....it will be a lovely cocktail hour snack...!

I'm using Raichlen's recipe out of How to Grill. Right now she's soaking in a cup (!) of my beautiful Gosling's dark rum, lucky devil. I couldn't find a big piece of wild salmon, so I cheaped out and went with a farm raised (I know---I hate myself for it already). Am hoping the Goslings and the WSM will miraculously transform this so-so piece of fish into a gourmand's delight.

Whoops, time to go put the rub on. Brown sugar, salt, pepper, and 4 hours in the fridge.

I bet the salmon will turn out great. I've never tried the appetizer style, but the Cardogs recipe is one of our favorites at my house. We usually don't have any wild salmon available around here so I use the Costco farm raised.
Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the dose of optimism, Jeff! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Got goofy and forgot to take pics of the thing swimmin' around in my rum, but I'll attempt to capture the rest of the smoke.

I do have a question, which was the very reason I posted (but forgot to ask it). Raichlen wants me to smoke it at 225 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. As I've only done mighty minion all day or all night cooks, how on earth do I set up the coals for such a wee little project? I usually start with 16-20 lit coals and a full ring. Obviously, that's gonna be overkill for this job. So...what's the word on the street for this? Any advice appreciated and obeyed...!

Ok, ANOTHER question. So I read the "appetizer style salmon" in the cooking section. That one is cooked at a high heat for 4 hours...! Mine is at a lower heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The first one is brined; mine is dry rubbed. Does that make a difference in the time?

Also, that one starts out with a full chimney and no water in the pan. Yipes! I don't think that's right for my cook, but...what is?

Susan,
This is what Chris recommended when firing up his WSM to cook the salmon with the brown sugar rub recipe. That one calls for about 1-1/2 hours cooking at 225-250:

"Light one heaping Weber chimney starter full of Kingsford charcoal briquettes. When the coals are hot, spread them evenly in the charcoal chamber.

Assemble the cooker. Place the water pan in the cooker and fill with cool tap water. Close the top and bottom vents, allowing the cooker to come down to about 325*F before proceeding--perhaps 10 minutes.

When the cooker drops to 325*F, open the top vent fully and leave it that way throughout the entire cooking session. Put the salmon sling on the top cooking grate. Add the smoke wood to the hot coals.

Leave the bottom vents closed until the cooker comes down to about 225*F, then adjust a single bottom vent to maintain 225-250*F."

I am sure your fish will be great, but here in Alaska we say "Friends don't let friends eat farmed fish." Of course that's much easier to say when all the local markets have fresh local salmon available at reasonable prices as the season is in full swing.

Griff

Griff, you lucky fellow, you! Us poor slobs in the lower 48 have to struggle along with inferior salmon.

I've always been afraid of smoked salmon (don't ask me why---I'm just not normal) so it's sort of bizarre that I'm bravely attempting it anyhow.

A full chimney! And then let the temp come down?? I think I'm from the it's-easier-to-stop-the-temp-on-the-way-up-than-to-get-it-to-come-down school of smoking. So much for asking for help and promising to obey....

The last 2 times I did the Cardogs recipe, I used an empty water pan. I filled the charcoal ring about 1/2 full & put 12 lit coals on top. I just put the fish on when I put the WSM together & adjusted for the 225-250 temp.
Actually, my last salmon cook I forgot to put the water pan in at all. My wife said it was my best salmon cook yet.

Hey, I like it! I think I can live with a half chimney of lit coals. And no water in the pan, or no pan at all? Well...let's see if I'm that brave.

Ok, Steve, I promise, BUT....I betcha' I go with a pan of water, just cuz I'm that kinda' gal (Aquarius--the water bearer!).

I've done appetizer style half a dozen times now at varying temps. For appetizer style I prefer a little lower and slower, like 225 for 3 or 4 hours. When done hot it's done faster and thick fillet pieces aren't dry enough inside for my liking. I have always used the water pan and it has yet to come out badly regardless of temp. You'll do fine, it will be great!

Our favourite part is the dry edges. So now I cut fillets up into smaller pieces so there are more dry edges. Try with some brie and roast garlic on crackers.

You know, I thought about Brie. I think I've got some on hand. That's a great idea!

I do plan a 225 cook, but I hope it won't take four hours. It's kinda long and thin as opposed to short and fat.

Susan:

Your mission should you decide to accept it is to unlock the secret of no pan salmon. I don't have any salmon or money to buy any right now! You have caused a taste bud frenzy in my mouth
icon_biggrin.gif
. Now it is up to you to stop me from reaching into the emergency fund
icon_cool.gif
. This message will self destruct in 5 seconds. GOOD LUCK SUE
icon_eek.gif

No pan salmon! Omigosh. Maybe I'll try. But I'm afeared. Don't want to dry the baby out. OF course, I do want to dry it out a bit.

Decisions, decisions.

Here's a pic of sockeye salmon I did last night. 4 tail pieces (short and thin), 200 - 225 for nearly 5 hours. You can see how it's dry inside right down to the skin. Very firm, but that's my preference.

Dont' want to drag this thread out but I should have stated there was also 2 lbs raw pork sausage and a 9.5lb roaster chicken in at the same time as this salmon.

Please do what ever you feel like, I am really curious about this method. Sounds closest to a cave man method, being a bit cro magnon I wonder how this will affect flavor. No doubt a riskier method, and I have no clue if a flavor difference would be made. Shawn, how was the moisture?

I skinned my salmon. Yers looks beautiful, Shawn. Mine is a wimpy pink, and THAT's with enhanced color from the farm. Bleah.

It's dry, but not tough or to the point where liquids are required to swallow it, not sure how else to describe it. To me smoked salmon is dry (not dehydrated), differnet than grilled salmon steaks or planked fillets which I prefer moist, removed as soon as cooked. I think this accentuates the already wonderful sockeye flavour.

What it sounds like to me is condenced flavor and any moisture left is mostly oil and not water. Is this a good guess? I also prefer a firmer, drier salmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back