Standing Rib Roast- Cut In Half?

Dave Taylor

I bought a 6 bone roast, around 14 lbs. I've cooked a 3 rib before, and I'm wondering if I should just split this one. I'm not sure if it will fit on the cooker as is, I have an 18" WSM, 18" OTG and 22" OTS to work with. I'm also concerned about how long it may take to cook. Thanks for any help and Happy Holidays.

It's the thickness that determines the cook time, not weight, so 3, or 6 bone, should be pretty much the same cook time. Splitting it? It'll fit on the 22" and if you're comfortable with cooking indirect on it for a few hours, I'd go that route. However, if you feel better controlling temps with the 18" WSM, split and go that route. I don't think the 18" OTG comes into play here unless you want to play with more than one grill/smoker
icon_wink.gif

Bill

Haha, always fun to play with a couple of different grills! After reading Chris' article in cooking topics I think I'll keep it whole, it'll be sitting on the top grate of the smoker with a turkey underneath. Should be a fun cook, and I have the 22 on standby. Thanks!

Back