Sous vide brisket?

At 135 you will have an amazing texture - it will be around medium rare (although this is subjective) and VERY juicy.

However, it may take longer for the point to get tender at such a low temperature, even up to 72 hours... also most of the fat will not render, but will soften slightly (which is fine for me, but some people really dislike eating fat, even if it is just unrendered marbling)

I dont have a disconnect with eating fat. But there are preferences. In that I might prefer a point to be rendered more based on what I'm hearing. Guess you can just do what you want and seperate the point when you pull and finish to what ever level you want. In the oven, smoker, etc until it's to the way you prefer.

A number of things one can do.

Imo, in a conventional cook, the point is done when the flat is. Cooking the point further doesn't interest me. Others feel differently of course.

Terms like 'medium-rare', 'medium', etc., don't really apply regarding sous vide cooking. Contrary to rampant belief, those terms regard interior color, not temp, though color and temps often correlate. Differences in color over the range of temps often used for sous vide red meat cooking are fairly minimal, making the terms moot.

Because of brisket's structure, imo, a higher cooktemp for better results is warranted.

I'm wondering if anybody else has completed an sv brisket?

I tried 48 hrs at 145* (I was doing momofuku short ribs so I tossed some brisket corners in the tank too). I found the results to be totally unpleasant as it wasn't very tender, nor was it moist and rare. It was basically bad pot roast.

I've done some more research and it seems like hotter and shorter, or cooler and longer is needed.

I incorrectly assumed that brisket would cook the same way as the short ribs and was kind of shocked at how differently they cooked.

I left my lab bath in Fla (the thing weighs a ton) or I'd give it a go. I'm sort of over it so I'm not sure I'll get a circulator for here. Maybe.

Yeah, meat structure and several relative points go into figuring out the optimal s.v. approach. It can be frustrating if the info out there is lacking or contradictory and thus one is needing to create one's own reference point. I
d be inclined toward higher/shorter myself, I think.

Back