Sorry

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
At the risk of pissing off a bunch of folks here, I'm going to call this Weber pellet grill fiasco for what it is...thus far, an unmitigated disaster from the premier name in outdoor cooking. Of course their customer service is responsive sending parts and covering up what they hope to.... because the premier name in outdoor cooking failed miserably at their entry into a major BBQ market.
Personally, I would no sooner buy a Weber pellet grill than fly to the moon at this point... value for money, reliability, reviews...what's to like?
I noticed my local Ace which has a ton of floor space dedicated to Weber...but noticed zero Weber pellet grills. In fact, it's only Traeger and just today I saw a Req-Tec stainless beast there on the floor. Good luck to the dedicated Weber pellet fan Bois. I think you'll need it.

What a way to start the weekend. No need to apologize, your entitled to your opinion. Unfortunately, it seems to be the way of the world now, build it cheaper so you have to buy new again in a few years. Weber is not the only manufacturer guilty of this.

I try not to get hung up on the equipment part of cooking, I'm more into the outcome.

Searwoods & SmokeFires available in my part of the state.

Grab a cold one, relax. 🍻

Yeah, really other than cheaping out on no casters and priced a bit too high for what you actually get (other than the name) they honestly are looking like this one may do the trick of trying to be a little more "all purpose". I don't think I'd go dropping $1k plus to find out, but if it was priced more in the $600-$700 range I COULD be "persuaded". The idea of being just a little more "all around" cooker is appealing to me at this stage. I could see clearing a giant monster off my deck in favor of this (namely the Wolf), although in all honestly I may still do that. Once I have a chance to give pizzas a try on the pellet cookers. (homemade pizzas not frozen/store bought). As quite honestly that is one thing Wolf does REMARKABLY well. (though I don't even dare look at my gas meter when I am doing this as I may see smoke coming from the needle's bearings) :D At full tilt it draws a bit more than my furnace LOL
But, if I can manage to get a good "za" out of BigZ and or MM, Wolfy may be offered up. Of course it will be offered here first so friends can get first crack at it.

God bless America, land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with the light from above

From the mountains to the prairies
To the oceans white with foam
God bless America, my home sweet home

Too bad there isn't a line in there about the smell of BBQ drifting across

At the risk of pissing off a bunch of folks here, I'm going to call this Weber pellet grill fiasco for what it is...thus far, an unmitigated disaster from the premier name in outdoor cooking. Of course their customer service is responsive sending parts and covering up what they hope to.... because the premier name in outdoor cooking failed miserably at their entry into a major BBQ market.
Personally, I would no sooner buy a Weber pellet grill than fly to the moon at this point... value for money, reliability, reviews...what's to like?
I noticed my local Ace which has a ton of floor space dedicated to Weber...but noticed zero Weber pellet grills. In fact, it's only Traeger and just today I saw a Req-Tec stainless beast there on the floor. Good luck to the dedicated Weber pellet fan Bois. I think you'll need it.

I thought you had some other brand. Did you buy one and you hate it?

Exactly, I recall a Nexgrill Oakford 580, less then 4 bills, an unknown brand vs a Weber, apples to oranges comparison if one at all, very indifferent to say the least.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why folks continue to scream from the rafters to the world that they won’t buy a Weber pellet. Fine, don’t buy the damn thing, sit down and shut up.

I’ll put my Smokefire and anything it turns out up against anything you cook all day long. And be damn confident.

Maybe I missed something but man, some of you guys complain more than a kid in the toy section that got told no. Boohoo

Pretty fair and unbiased overview. He's honest about where almost every grill is made. His observation regarding the length of the auger is interesting as is his noting of the use of a Cotter pin for the shear connection.
His upcoming review of how it actually operates, I believe, will be worth watching.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand you're question. I did buy a Nexgrill Oakford 580 and I like it. It's worked well for the few cooks I've done on it.

I believe Weber rules the gas grill market and rightfully so. They have set the standard for what reasonable consumers would expect for a gas grill...same with charcoal grills and I'd even say their WSK is overall a win in the kamado sector...that's just my opinion vs ceramic cookers though.
In fact, I believe one would be hard pressed to find a better overall value proposition for a gas grill under $1000 than the Genesis models currently offered at Costco and Ace for what seems to be exclusive models produced for both retailers respectively.
I'm just baffled by the fact that Weber has struggled so much with the design and production of a pellet grill and after seeing the Rec-Tec Backyard Beast at Ace yesterday...which I believe is price competitive with the Searwood, I'm no less baffled by Weber's pellet grill offerings.

Last edited:
Exactly, I recall a Nexgrill Oakford 580, less then 4 bills, an unknown brand vs a Weber, apples to oranges comparison if one at all, very indifferent to say the least.
I never made such a comparison but newsflash, there's a long list of manufacturers that have succeeded in the pellet grill sector where Weber has swung and missed thus far. The jury will remain out for awhile with the Searwood. Weber has very well established model names in both the charcoal and gas grill sectors...Genesis, Spirit, Smokey Mountain, Q...I don't recall them ditching a model series name until the Smokefire-Searwood change just recently...why do you think that is?

I never made such a comparison but newsflash, there's a long list of manufacturers that have succeeded in the pellet grill sector where Weber has swung and missed thus far. The jury will remain out for awhile with the Searwood. Weber has very well established model names in both the charcoal and gas grill sectors...Genesis, Spirit, Smokey Mountain, Q...I don't recall them ditching a model series name until the Smokefire-Searwood change just recently...why do you think that is?
Evolution.... just like the original kettle. Swing and a miss? It's a double!

Your thread title is “Sorry”, so hopefully you can afford me the same luxury, lol.

I’m not sure what drove you to open this thread but I am surprised, assuming you haven’t owned a Weber pellet unit. I was immediately reminded of your Superautomatic thread where you were challenged on your decision by someone who possibly never owned one. Hyperbole sometimes drives us to make decisions driven by inaccurate data.

There is one function of my SmokeFire that I dislike (it is the hopper, which sometimes leads to pellet flow issues for me). But I love the food that it produces.

I admire Weber’s boldness toward what I consider a revolutionary design change with the SF release and I’m happy to cut them some slack in return for its uniqueness. They didn’t twist my arm to buy it and having come to recognize some of its shortcomings they introduced a very flexible return policy.

I wish Weber and us users well in the pellet market. I also hope you continue to be pleased with your decision on a Superautomatic.

I have to say that this is an interesting forum. It's supposedly for those with Weber pellet smokers yet we have people post in here that don't have one or intend to ever buy one and mock those that have them. Like a Toyota fan popping into a Honda forum saying they will never buy a Honda. I don't get it.

I have to say that this is an interesting forum. It's supposedly for those with Weber pellet smokers yet we have people post in here that don't have one or intend to ever buy one and mock those that have them. Like a Toyota fan popping into a Honda forum saying they will never buy a Honda. I don't get it.
Please direct us to a post that "mocks" anyone for their purchase of any grill.

Back