Sorghum Molasses/Syrup

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Anybody else out there that loves this stuff as much as I do? Just wish I could get it here in Amish town, verses buying it off the net. If you've never tried it, do yourself a favor and give it a go, it's fantastic stuff. My favorite was Uncle John's, but he passed away a few years ago and it's no longer made. Just got some Fain's the other day and it's quite good. Also have some from Scott's hams which is ok, nowhere near as good as the Uncle or Fain's. Link to Fain's Sorghum

Yes, I use it. I serve it with corn-based pancakes, fritters, breads, etc. If I use mesquite flour I use agave syrup, another fave.

Bryan,

The next time you make ginger bread cookies (if you do that), use the sorghum in the cookies - a wonderefully different flavor.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt_G:
Sounds interesting, I've never had it.

I've seen a product called Sorghum Extract in a brewing supply store.
Do you think this is the same thing?

http://morebeer.com/view_product/7471//Sorghum_Extract_3_Pounds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Extract usually means it's concentrated, not sure if that is the case with the one in your link? The link in my first post to Fains is top notch stuff, at a good price.

Thanks. A concetrate shouldn't be a problem I guess, just have to adjust/dilute maybe.

I can buy the concentrate right in a store a few miles from me so I'll give that a try.
I'll probably get some corn sugar while I'm there if the prices is right.

When I was a boy in Tennessee and even in southern Ohio the crops of cane would be juiced and huge troughs of the molasses cooked down. I remember the tool was wood and looked like a flat rake, but no prongs, just solid. Slowly stiring the sticky black juice. There were several steps to it all, the end product was black strap, the strongest. We'd help out and get a few jars when done. I love black strap but can't find it as bitter sweet as I remember as a kid.

Sorghum is molasses. watch out for the syrups, that's cane syrup with molasses, cut down. get the real stuff. I find it locally here in Phoenix in the health food stores. It's next best to my memory. Wonderful on biscuits, or in brines, in bbq sauce.

I cook up pancakes with pure sourdough sponge and cover it in butter and molasses. the sweet bitterness of the molasses is great with the sourness of the fried sourdough sponge.

Back