So many to choose from.. please choose for me

Hey guys,

To be honest I'm overwhelmed at the amount of rubs and recipes. There are so many and everyone says their rub is the best.

I need help with choosing some to start out with. I would prefer something that is an all around crowd pleaser. You know how there's the personal stuff that YOU eat, but when you know people are coming to stay over etc you'll kind of make the 'crowd pleaser' recipe because you know for sure everyone is going to like it?

I talked my wife into getting the smoker so need something that her and her family for sure is going to like when we go visit and bring some meat over.

Could someone please help me choose the rubs, merinade I would need for pork, chicken, turkey, eye of round, steaks, and brisket?

I know it's a lot of variety, but I have all of these meats in the freezer and want to go on a smoking binge this Friday.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks!

I used this for Chicken last night and it was awesome. I did change it bit, I did not have mild chili powder, I had med hot penzy so I halved it. I also halved the cayenne.

It was really tasty. Smoked the chickens with some apple wood.

I've made so many rubs, it's hard to go wrong. I stay away from anything with Rosemary as I think it does not smoke well, it gets bitter.

Michael, I do not have the answer but I do have some thoughts. First, some people make wonderful bbq without any rub. The next level is just salt and pepper. That works too. Next, step it up with a variety of ground peppers. Add some sugar and some aromatic spices. Oh and onion and garlic granules. Then add sweet spices of cinnamon and allspice.
These are dried spices that can be mixed in almost any combination, adding and deleting as you choose.
Try rubs posted here that interest you. Don't be afraid to try something new or make one your own.
Use good fresh spices-I have used Penseys with good results. Whole spice ground fresh are best. Use a $20 coffee grinder. Let us know what you like.

Good advice so far. I'd jot down a couple basic rub recipes and then make a trip to the bulk barn. Some rubs with a red base (paprika) may darken more than those without, sugar will burn at high temps, etc. Each spice has it's own character is what I'm getting at. I like what Steve said about starting out with S&P and going from there. This may be a case of 'the simpler the better'. Good luck, and don't forget pics.

Michael,first of all,congrats on the smoker purchase. I love mine.
As far as you question goes,I'll second what Steve said. I've tried making my own rubs,with varying seccess. I try to cook to my wifes' tastes,so one time it might be great,another time I may have gotten the portions off on something and she didn't care for it. There are also many great commercial rubs out there.
Take your time. I know you are anxious to get started. You'll get there and be the envy of your neighborhood in no time!

If you would like to make your own, there are some excellent suggestions here. Remember, many of us that make our own rub, make it salt-free. The meat is salted first, let sit for 10 minutes to sweat the meat, then the rub applied. If you buy commercial rubs, they will have plenty of salt in them already. I find it difficult to control the salt amount on the meats because of this (usually too salty for me). They may also add "fillers" like paprika, which only adds color -- the smoke will mask any really subtle flavors including paprika. There are no wrong answers here. Give it a shot. Even if you only rub with salt, pepper, and some chili powder, the results will be fine if you cook the meat properly, which means tender for butt and brisket, and to internal temp for chicken (approx. 160 in breast, 170 in thigh).
Cheers!

Back