Smoking Salt

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
Has anybody smoked salt for use in seasoning? I am making a "house blend" seasoning to keep on my table (not a rub) and thought smoked salt sounded good.

Kosher salt OK? How long? Figure I can just throw some on a cookie sheet in the smoker for an hour or two and see if it works.

Never tryed it myself but i will. If i remember this tomorrow(a few beers later) i will add some sea salt to my tenderloin-lunch-meat-cook.

I will report back

I've smoked salt before in pretty much the same way as you're describing. Just spread some salt in a pan, keep it away from any drips and pop it in the smoker for a couple of hours.

Sometimes I'd give the pan a shake after an hour to expose more of the salt grains to the smoke.

Then seal in an airtight container and sprinkle it on whatever needed a subtle bit of smoke flavoring.

HTH

Ken

Did some Kosher salt a few weeks ago and IMHO it turned out pretty good. Great on just about everything. I put a shallow layer in a foil pan on the top grate and smoked for about 2 hours at 250 - 275 with lump and 3 - 4 fist size chunks of hickory. I gave it a shake about half way through. It turned out light gray with a mild smoke flavor. I think I will smoke the next batch an extra hour or 2 to try and add a bit more smoke flavor.

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea about time and temp. I have some hickory so I'll go for that and try a few hours.

At least it's a really cheap mistake if I don't like it.
icon_smile.gif

Back