Smoking Italian Sausages

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I have been asked to bring 18 or so sausages to a party this weekend. The host is making Italian Beef and I am providing the "combo" option.

I will need to smoke the sausages the day before. I read this thread, but still have a couple of questions.

Should I do anything to the sausages prior to smoking? I read somewhere about brushing them with olive oil and then sprinkling some rub on.

After cooling, should I wrap them in plastic wrap / foil individually, or can I wrap 3 or 4 together to save time?

What would be the easiest, if not necessarily best, way to reheat them? Can I just put them in a 300 oven for 10-15 min?

Personally I wouldn't rub them or put oil on. To me they are allready full of fat and flavor so there is no need. Having said that you could.

For packaging i would not individually wrap, to me there is little benefit for to much work.

I would reheat as you are suggesting.

Clark

If your going to have green peppers and onions to top them off. Reheat them with green peppers and onions and that will also help them from drying out. maintain them with green peppers and onion if there setting a while also.

I wouldn't bother with a rub if it were sausages that were still in a casing. I would rather rely on buying great quality sausage with amazing flavor. It could be a bit of overkill to the palette if the spices in your rub, conflict with the flavors inside, not to mention the added smokiness.

Reheating is simple, sheet pan and loosely tent with foil after reheating prior to serving.

Back