Smoking/Grilling FIsh

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
We have been eating a lot more fish of late. Nothing beats cedar plank salmon. I've also plopped other fish on cedar planks. All has been fine.

It seems to me, however, there has to be other ways of grilling/smoking fish. I found this thread about smoking cod on the WSM.

I have a fresh piece of cod in the fridge and looking for something other than putting it on a cedar plank.

Do you put fish on foil to keep it from falling through the grates? I am concerned about the integrity of the fish on the WSM.

As always, I appreciate the help from the community here.

I use a fish/veggie basket........I spray with PAM and it works pretty well (it closes tight to the fish and holds everything in place).

I would imagine smoking/grilling flaky fish on the WSM is tough without one.

Good luck!

I always buy whole or skin-on fillets for BBQ or smoking. I smoke fish skin side down.

Sometimes I cure salmon or trout in salt/brownsugar and spices for a few hours in the fridge and rinse/dry completely before smoking.

Otherwise I'll smoke the fillets skin side down with alder, maple, apple wood.

I don't like a lot of glaze, spices when I cook the fish. I may dress with a sauce or some type of salsa but i keep the fish pretty pure on the grill.

For a simple, easy dish, marinate some swordfish steaks in lime juice for 10 minutes . (no longer or it will start to "cook" the fish). Then pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Next spread mayonaise over the fish and grill them (direct - medium high heat). The mayo disappears during cooking ut keeps the fish moist.
Serve with fresh lemon juice over the fish.
Ray

going to try the mayo trick for sure, I imagine the oil in the mayo penetrates the fish

thanks!

I have been doing the mayo thing with sworfdish for years, it works great! I also prefer my swordfish cut pretty thin, about half an inch.

Nice tips here. I've also been wanting to try some fish.

I read some random poster say that he doesn't put fish in his WSM because it will alter the smell and/or flavor of other food after that. Is this true?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
I read some random poster say that he doesn't put fish in his WSM because it will alter the smell and/or flavor of other food after that. Is this true? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've grilled loads of salmon and steelhead on my kettle, no lingering oder. Never done any in a bullet but I will say the smoker (a Big Chief smoker) I do use for fish definately smells like smoked fish and I wouldn't do anything else in it. The Big Chief is a "low" temp smoker (I'd guess 120-140, you can put your hand on it no problem while running) and I'm smoking it for 12-15 hours, maybe that has something to do with it.

For those looking for an easy way keep the fish in one piece, leave the skin on if you can and just make tinfoil trays out of 3-4 pieces and fold the edges up to contain the juices. When it's done remove the meat and leave the skin w/the foil tray.

Todd,

Thanks. It makes sense that the more "low and slow" it goes, the more it would take on the fish smell. I've grilled it with no trouble, but was hesitant to do it in the smoker.

If I ever get a hankering to smoke fish, I'll probably get one of the $50 smokers.

Back