Smoking duck today.

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
I'm smoking duck (domestic store bought) today for the first time. It's pretty much just for me, so I'm not worried about when it's done or getting too fancy. I figured for this go, I'll just treat it like chicken, brining for a few hours, then rubbing with Weber's Beer Can chicken run and cooking it like a large chicken.

Unless you guys have something better in mind......

mu understanding with duck is that all the fat can be difficult to completely render. You can prick some holes in the skin to help drain, or some recommend steaming for several minutes.

Definitely want to hear how this turns out so please keep us posted.

James

James,

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I've read recommendations to slit the breast skin (not the meat) so the grease can drain out more easily. I'll do that.

Tardy update:

The duck smoked up pretty nicely.

I brined it in a salt/white sugar mix for about 3 hours. Rinsed and patted dry and applied a generous amount of Meathead's Memphis Dust (a great all around rub). Smoked around 225-250 for about 3 1/2 hours (memory is a little sketchy on that important detail, but the flesh was pulling back from both leg bones). I used oak and lump charcoal.

Anyway, the taste was very good. It's not chicken. A little sweeter, and a little fleshier. I cooked to about medium well, which is more than many do duck. The 3 little kids (ages 5, 7, and 8) who tried it loved it. It is a messy bird though. I'm not terribly good at carving to begin with, but it comes apart pretty messy. The skin is thicker and the ligaments stronger than a chicken. You want to slice the breast into medallions crossways, and make sure a layer of skin/fat stays with each bite of meat.

On a taste scale of 1-10, where 10 is the most awesome ribs you've ever had, 5 is a grilled hotdog, and 1 is vegetarian lasagna, I'd give it a 7. It's too messy (for my skill set) to serve to company though. But it's definitely worth trying, and I'm sure I'll do it again someday.

Matt, thank you for the update. This was a pretty interesting cook. Every so often I do a duck and I'd love to try something different from my usual "suspension marinade / crispy roast" palava. You've given me some great food for thought.

I usually only grill boneless duck breast and do it to medium rare. Taste is great and it's not to messy to serve to company. A lot of people don't like it though. Oh well they get a skinless boneless chicken breast, more for me
icon_smile.gif

Here is a partial link to making peking duck
http://www.vietworldkitchen.co...-blow-up-a-duck.html

I usually get a pot of boiling water and beforehand just kind of pull on the skin carefully to separate it from the meat.

Then with the boiled water and molasses and vinegar mixture I dip it for a half or minute wait until it boils again and do it three times.

I then let it dry completely with a fan next to it or just leave it in the frig until completely dry.

Then you can cook it on the wsm at 375 if you can get it that high or just on a grill.

Cook for an hour to and hour and 15 minutes.

Roast duck glory!

Back