smoked turkey!!! with some needed words of wisdom

justin.williams

TVWBB Super Fan
hey guys so day before yesterday went with my first attempt at a smoke a turkey. we usually just do some turkey tenderloins that i marinate and grill, but when i went to the store the bone-in turkey breast were only a couple of bucks more, so i got the bone in. more meat and i get another excuse to break out the WSM!

sorry the picture is a little blurry, but i called my mother-in-law who makes great thanksgiving day turkey to find out the secrets, turns out it's just salt and pepper and butter rubbed under and on top of the skin. i was just thinking salt and pepper to begin with, but i think the butter added a nice touch.

set the WSM up with one load unlit on the bottom, full load lit on top, and another 3/4 load unlit on top of the lit.

here it is once everything was nearly fully engaged and with some apple and a little bit of hickory

i took this picture thinking i was going to be able to write 'dialed it in to 350 and it just coasted', but that's not what happened and i was hoping for some words of wisdom. i got it to 350, after it spiked to 375 once i put assembled the cooker, but then after about an hour it started to drop temp and just settled in at 300. i used the same amount of coals and same method on my previous chicken cook (oh yeah, empty foiled water pan and all the vents open) but about 50 degrees difference in temperature? my chicken cook it held 350ish for like 7-8 hours. maybe the next two pictures will help all you detectives out there

was hoping the rain would hold off..

but it did start to drizzle. i put up the umbrella and the WSM never got wet, nor did it get any colder or windier, so is that enough to have a 50* difference? any ideas you guys might have would be great
anyway...

turkey on the smoker with a little foil to catch any drippings that will be used later for the gravy

turkey all done and resting

all plated up with some asparagus and gravy (sorry for the last two blurry pics) wanted to try for another plated, but the wife was really hungry. all-in-all great final product. i keep the probe in and pulled it at 165* and the bird was beautifully juicy and with just the right amount of smoke. sliced the rest up for sandwiches and the wife really really liked it, so i was happy too!

i was thinking about the drop in temp: could it have been the weather? the fact that it's not running as hot anymore because it's not so new? use more coals from now on? i would have really liked it to stay at 350 the whole time so any ideas you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.
thanks for looking and enjoy the 4th!

Turned out very nice. The Temp variation is one of mysteries of the WSM. To me it may have need to charcoal.

Great turkey dinner.
I think you needed more hot coals but then again I never smoked in bad weather.

Looks awesome. I did a smoked Turkey breast and needed a few more coals. The cold turkey seemed to suck up a bit of heat. Had the same problem with a large beer can chicken...added another 1/2 chimney and the universe re-balanced itself...important thing is yours came out looking great!

I've smoked over 40 turkeys on my wsm, and they have all came out great! I don't worry about lid temp, I just open all vents, and let er rip! No water in pan. I've smoked as low as 250F and has high as 325F. The turkey will be done, when it wants to be done! Your bird breast looks great! Thanks for posting.

My first thought is ash. You've got a lot of burning going on there and take that an hour further along...maybe try giving the legs on the WSM a tap with a hammer. I think your airflow has slowed. Breast looks great though

Back