Smoked Turkey Meat

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
So I had this idea and am wondering if I'm just grasping at straws trying to come up with "justification" for buying my WSM, or if it's actually a good idea (or at least if anyone else is doing this).

So the idea is to smoke store bought turkey breasts on the WSM and slice it up for use as lunch meat. The thought being that this would be cheaper than buying it from the deli but possibly tastier. If so, the only downside would be the meat wouldn't be sliced "deli-thin".

Thoughts? Good idea? Has anyone else done something similar?

It is a great idea!! I have done it a few times. I have also done ham, bologna,and pancetta. My favorite way is to season with Chef Meritos Chicken seasoning and place on the rotisserie with a little apple. I do have a meat slicer and slice it pretty thin and vac seal using a Food saver.

Brian,

I do that all the time. Pork loin, rump roast, turkey are some of my favorites to smoke and slice. I still have a little bit of rump roast that I cooked in a dutch oven on my wsm. While a do have an electric slicer; for this I just made sure my knife was very sharp and sliced away for great sammies (with caramelized onions). You control what goes onto the smoker and what goes into the meat/veggies/fruit. Yes, grilled peaches and pineapple are great. You can brine the turkey, pork, etc. to add moisture. The wsm not only smokes but you can grill on it as well; it's very versatile. If you find you really would like a slicer; check craigslist for a used one. I picked up a large commercial grade for $40.

Paul

Brian,

I cut up the leftover turkey into 1/2 inch cubes and freeze in plastic bags in 2 cup quantities. I later use the meat in many different dishes (turkey salad, enchiladas, turkey soup, etc).

Also, do not throw away the carcass. I put the bones in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes to get a really caramelized condition. I then make a wonderful smoked turkey stock. Again, I freeze the stock in either 4 cup or 6 cup containers and use it later for soups.

And those deeply charred end of the wings? I freeze them also and use to flavor collard greens or green beans.
Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Ray

You can pick up the turkey breast or other luncheon meats at Sam's. do some crosscuts on it use something to bind some rub on it and then throw it on the smoker. I've done it with bologna and turkey breast.

Brian I just separted and cooked a 14lb turkey this past weekend on my kettle. I foiled the breast at 150 and cooked to 165. It's awesome meat, very moist and no nitrates. It's often cheaper to buy a utility grade whole turkey and pay less for it than just a breast. I pulled the dark meat after putting it in the crockpot and will use it in future for chile, soup, turkey pot pie, whatever.
You can brine, inject, marinade, or just plain roast it, so many options for the such healthy meat. I have done the same with pork loin too. The big advantage is no nitrates. A large sharp knife will allow you to slice pretty thin. It may not shave but should be acceptable.

It's often cheaper to buy a utility grade whole turkey and pay less for it than just a breast. I pulled the dark meat after putting it in the crockpot and will use it in future for chile, soup, turkey pot pie, whatever.
You can brine, inject, marinade, or just plain roast it, so many options for the such healthy meat. I have done the same with pork loin too. The big advantage is no nitrates. A large sharp knife will allow you to slice pretty thin. It may not shave but should be acceptable.

Another good idea. Not only would the whole turkey be cheaper, it'll give me some good practice for Thanksgiving. It's hard to believe that in all these years I've never done a turkey on my kettle. I think it's time to change that. Thanks for the advice!

Last time I saw Butterball whole turkey breasts in the store, I bought 4 and threw them in the freezer. When I run out of one I thaw the next and smoke it.

Yeah, it's a good idea.

I've already got a WSM, I'm trying to justify a deli slicer. :)

Back