Smoked pork tenderloin - what temp?

DBWallis

TVWBB Super Fan
ill be smoking my first pork tenderloin today, and have a couple questions.

- what internal temp should I shoot for?
- is 2.5 - 3 hours at 225-235 a reasonable cook time to work with?
- what's your favorite wood with pork?
- any tips or things to avoid?

Thanks!

125 to 170, I like pink in the middle so 155 to 160*. Pork is frozen now so unless you got it off the farm you are safe. Commercial pork is frozen before it's shipped.

1 1/2 to 2 hr max at 225-235o.

140-145o internal as it'll cook a bit after taking it out of the smoker. Don't get any higher as there is little to no fat so no rendering is required and it'll just start drying out. Any fruit wood that is on hand---apple, etc

Last edited:
I've never smoked a pork tenderloin on the WSM, I have given them smoke while indirect on a kettle grill.
To me a pork loin would be better suited due to the larger size, not that a PT can't be made the way you plan.

Temp wise I take chops, loins, and tenderloins to 135 so they finish at about 140 during the rest.
It will be somewhat pink, but perfectly safe to eat, as long as the eaters aren't squeamish about pink pork.
PT's are tender enough to go medium, so for that I'd pull it at 145ish, then rest.

I like any fruit wood for pork, and usually use apple, but sometimes hickory.

Sorry, no clue on how long the cook might take.

edit, guess I'm a slow typer. :)

Last edited:
According to my chart, Medium rare is 130-135, tender, very juicy. Chef's preferred temp is medium 135-145, some pink, tender and juicy.

Just remember when cooking pork to medium or under you'll have to deal with the "Is it done?" crowd!

I usually take it to 150 for that very reason. Sigh.....

I usually do pork loins and tenderloins at a higher temp around 300-325 (due to them being lean) and shoot for an internal of 140. I use apple, pecan or peach wood

Thanks guys! This is an experiment, and just for my wife and I, so pretty much anything goes!

We like our pork on the pink side, so I think I'll shoot for 135. Never done a tenderloin low-n-slow, so I want to see how that works out.

I'm *almost* tempted to inject it with some melted butter just to keep it juicy ;)

DB.

I've done quite a few tenderloins on the smoker. I shoot for +/-130*. Then get the coals up to warp speed and sear for 30 seconds on each side. Slightly pink is good.

Well, this was partially successful.

I smoked some salmon first, while the smoker was coming up to temp... I've found that I can get longer cook time with a more tender, moist fish if I add the fish when I start the smoker, and let it cook while the temp comes up. In this case, the fish went on at 100, cooked for about an hour, at which time the smoker was up to 190.

Unfortunately, the temp didn't come up as quickly as I anticipated when I added the pork, and only hit a high of about 215, and that was at the end of an hour.

The internal temp was at 140 at that point, but the tenderloin never developed a bark, or even darkened up much. I pulled the meat, heated up the grill to about 550, and did a reverse sear, and also brushed it with BBQ sauce and let that cook for a few minutes.

Visually, it was disappointing, and there wasn't much in the way of a smoke ring. The good news is that it was perfectly pink throughout, and still very juicy. It was tender and tasty, with a subtle smoke flavor.

It made a decent meal, but I want to take a second shot at this with a properly heated smoker.

Thanks for all the input!

DB.

I don't think you'll get a bark on such short cook(s). What you did was a smokey reverse sear. And sounds like it went well. :)

145 on internal temp. I've never had a good bark. I just use peach chutney as a glaze afterwards or a cherry bourbon compote

So with the leftovers, tonight we made smoked pork tenderloin tacos. Diced the pork, simmered in enchilada sauce, plated on corn tortillas with jack cheese, lettuce, black olives and sour cream. They were mighty awesome! Sorry, no pics, it was late and we were hungry!

Back