Smoked Jumbo Quail

Jim Baker

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone tried to smoke jumbo quail on their WSM? Did a search and didn't find anything. The quail I have are about 1/4 pound each. Any ideas?
icon_confused.gif

When I 'smoke' quail I actually smoke/grill it, usually direct. It takes maybe 10 minutes, 12 tops. I pretty much always brine first, or marinate.

You could smoke/roast but they cook quickly.

You could low/slow to extend the time but the skin would be an issue. You could grill direct to finish the skin--but then why not grill direct from the get-go?

Do you know what you want to serve then with--as far as sides? Main dish? Or starter...or lunch?

Like heat?

I nearly always remove the backs from quails and then the rib cages. These are called 'semi-boned' quail.

Puree in a blender:

1/2-1 canned chipotle pepper

1/2 small onion (about 2-3 T)

4 cloves garlic

1/2 c dry white wine

1/2 c canned pineapple juice or bottled cranberry juice (do not use fresh pineapple juice)

2 T rice vinegar (or use champagne, white wine or red vin)

1 T orange juice

1/2 t ground black pepper

1.5 t ground coriander

1/4 t allspice

1/4 t dried thyme (or a little fresh)

pinch ground clove

about 1 t citrus zest (lime, lemon, orange, grapefruit or a blend)

about 2 t salt

Blend till somewhat smooth. Put in a Zip-loc and add the quail. Turn well to coat. Marinate 3-4 hours but no longer.

Remove from marinade and shake off excess. (If you wish, add a little water to the marinade, bring to a boil in a small pot, reduce to a simmer, drizzle in a little honey, then taste. Adjust salt; adjust acidity--mellow it with a little water, add a squeeze of lemon or lime or a little vin to boost it. Save as a drizzle for serving.)

You can cook as noted above. I often skewer crosswise with two skewers to make them easier to handle. If you plan to grill but don't want to attend them, set up for indirect and start them that way, then finish direct.

You could smoke them lightly in the WSM, alternatively, then drop them down to finish direct.

Remember that they cook pretty quickly no matter which way you do it.

Hope this isn't a hijack, trying to keep quail all on thread......I am glad this site is here....as I saw some quail at my local butcher the other day and thought...hmmm...well saw this thread today and because of it I have some quail marinading in Kevins marinade...grillin em up tonight.

Ok done...here are some pics. Flavor was good, but for me to much work to pick those litle bodies of meat...don't think mine were jumbo and I should have split em....

How were your's Jim?

Thanks Kevin! I do like hot foods. I will be giving this a try in the next week or so. Mark, if you like quail try Manchester Farms online. They have the jumbo quail which are about a 1/4 pound each.

Back