Smoked Fish Dip(other than Salmon)?

If you can get Tuna down there, it makes a great dip when you smoke it
icon_razz.gif

Marinate grouper/snapper/aj/trigger/etc overnight in lime juice, sprinkle with cajun seasoning and smoke over hickory at 250ish for a couple of hours, don't dry it out, moist and smoky is what you are looking for.

2 cups smoked fish
1 cup mayo
2 tbsp each:
dill relish
chopped celery
chopped onion
chopped parsley
mustard (cheap yellow)
2 cloves garlic
dash white (lea and perrins for chicken) worcestershire
dash hot sauce

mix and refrigerate for at least an hour, preferably overnight.

I have made this a thousand times, try it you'll like it.

tt

Dolphin will work fine. You can get farmed trout (frozen), mullet, hog snapper from the Keys, grouper - all work well.

Dolphins are mammals. Dolphin - AKA dolphinfish or, since the late 80s, mahi-mahi, is a fish, not a mammal. Kind of ugly (nice colors though) but tasty.

mahi_mahi.gif

Thanks Tom just what I was looking for.

Dave, Kevin is right on. That's a Dolphin and Flipper is a porpoise. However in Denver you probably see as much of either one as we see Bear here in Miami.

Kevin nice catch especially on a fly.

ah, I've eaten more than my fair share of mahi mahi, love it.

Never heard it referred to as "dolphin" though and I admit I was kinda taken aback because killing and/eating of dolphins is pretty faux pas...

Thanks guys.

That's not me - just a pic of one I like.

Mahi-mahi is Hawai'ian. The term was not uncommon in Calif but did not make its way east till the 80s. Many restaurateurs adopted it (I was a hold-out!) because of the fish/mammal confusion. Northerners, unfamiliar with the fish, would blanch at the thought of eating "Flipper" (if you're old enough to recall the TV show).
icon_smile.gif

Makes sense, I grew up in CA so only ever heard the Hawaiian term.

Joe, I really like making dip with smoked trout (freshwater obv) or tuna.

I can't think of a fish that wouldn't work with a normal dip base of sour cream + mayo, with some chopped shallots and fresh herbs. Mmm.

Tuna, mako shark and other firm fish are good smoked, finely diced, and tossed with a shallot-herb vinaigrette (especially one with a fruit juice component) as well.

Has anyone ever tried using kingfish, Mackerel or any other oily fish. I am sure Dolphin and Snapper work great but now that I think about it: Would I want to waste a good fish on a dip?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tom t:
Marinate grouper/snapper/aj/trigger/etc overnight in lime juice

tt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lime juice would "cook" the fish overnight (think ceveche). Does that not affect the texture/taste of the fish?

Just wondering....

Joe - I have used King Mackeral in my recipe and it is excellent.

Mike - You are correct, it is ceveche by the time I smoke it. I can't comment on whether it alters the texture since I have never not marinated it. All I know is it makes some real fine fish dip.

Thanks,

tt

i love ted peters' fish spread in st. petersburg (actually pasadena), fl! best i've ever had. they use smoked mullet, i believe.

Back