Smoked Bluefish

Jon Alex

TVWBB Member
Hi folks,

We caught some bluefish this past Sunday and while we typically throw them back or use them for lobster bait, we decided to keep a couple and try smoking them. We have a couple friends who like to make a pate or have them on crackers, bagels etc. So I gave it a shot. I decided to filet them and remove the skin to eliminate any of the off flavors you get from the blood lines, etc. and then I brined them overnight in a mix of water, kosher salt, brown sugar, sugar, black pepper, granulated garlic, Worcestershire and bay leaves. I added some rub to some of the filets and left some plain.

I then smoked them at around 200F on the WSM for almost 3 hours with some hickory and cherry.

Well they taste like um well..smoked bluefish...It's an aquired taste. The process was fun. I'll try this again some time with Salmon or Striped Bass and see what happens.

Jon they look tasty. I was gonna mention soon as you catch one to slice behind the gills and bleed it and throw on ice. I use them for shark or redfish bait in the surf here but hear good things about smoking them. Thanks for posting.

Jon - I've had fresh bluefish once up in NJ years ago - grilled and seasoned heavily with some sort of cajun seasoning - it was awesome. The key - I was told - was they were caught, cleaned and cooked withing a few hours...smoked I think would be good for those that like such things - sort of like herring I suppose?

Jon they look tasty. I was gonna mention soon as you catch one to slice behind the gills and bleed it and throw on ice. I use them for shark or redfish bait in the surf here but hear good things about smoking them. Thanks for posting.
We did just that. The shelf life on these is pretty short. We caught them, bled them immediately and had them filleted on ice withing the hour. A lot of folks here keep them alive for Tuna bait at Stellwagen Bank. They are a fun catch especially a couple of them at a time on umbrella rigs!

Hey Jon, I love blues! Looks great. Do try the salmon from the main page. I did the appetizer brined one and wow was it good!

I must have caught a zillion bluefish in my lifetime, and could never acquire a taste for them, and gave them away to friends or local lobstermen for bait.
I've been told that trying them smoked will change my mind. After I get new 18.% WSM assembled and get comfortable with it I will give it a try.
Yours look tasty.

I must have caught a zillion bluefish in my lifetime, and could never acquire a taste for them, and gave them away to friends or local lobstermen for bait.
I've been told that trying them smoked will change my mind. After I get new 18.% WSM assembled and get comfortable with it I will give it a try.
Yours look tasty.
Their an oily fish for sure. I've heard of them going $7 or more per pound in Alabama. Here we throw them back.

We did just that. The shelf life on these is pretty short. We caught them, bled them immediately and had them filleted on ice withing the hour. A lot of folks here keep them alive for Tuna bait at Stellwagen Bank. They are a fun catch especially a couple of them at a time on umbrella rigs!
Sounds great buddy. I see those are nice filets. Had to be some decent size fish.

Nice cook! I never could eat bluefish either...too oily and fishy tasting. I have a few friends who like it and all of their recipes involve a lot of onions cooking on them or under them...that still probably wouldn't do it for me, but that's cool, I can just have a hot dog...kudos for smoking them and working the process! I am sure they are awesome to those with a taste for bluefish!

Smoke is ok, like you said, an acquired taste. Love to catch them as they are good fighters. Only way I've found to cook them is to fry 'em, and even then, not the greatest fish......................d

My wife made a simple dip with the bluefish last night. Mixed it with a little mayo, cream cheese (50/50) and with a thin slice of cucumber put it on a Ritz cracker. "Everthing is good when it sits on a Ritz!"

Back