Smoked Black Peppercorns

Just so I understand the setup. You get a can with the lid still partially attached, put some wood chips in the can an plugged in the soldering iron and produce smoke. What wattage was the soldering iron. Was the soldering iron touching the wood chips.

Yes sir, that is it. And I have no idea the wattage on the soldering iron, it was just one of those el-cheapo Walmart $9 ones so I would imagine it is a pretty weak soldering iron but it worked great here. And yep, I loaded up the can about 3/4 of the way full and shoved the soldering iron all the way to the bottom of the can. Really easy to do and would be pretty hard to mess up, just make sure the plastic handle isn't touching the can. It gets really really hot and I can imagine it would melt if it stayed up against the can for any long period of time.

You can Google this setup though and there are a million sites talking about it. Some people punch holes all in the can and do other mods to it, but I just wanted to see if the simplest way would produce good smoke and it did, so I'ma stick with it. The only thing that I might do it make four little "legs" on the can out of some nuts and bolts so the can doesn't roll around. It was a bit tricky to get the can to stay the way I wanted it since there was nothing on the can sticking out to stop it from doing so.

I can only imagine how much stuff you could smoke with this thing though, and nice thing if you can use it on any grill, or even a 5 gallon bucket or Rubbermaid container so long as you had something for the hot can to sit on, like maybe a big bowl full of sand or dry dirt or something.

Back