Smoke dried tomato experiment

I wanted to experiment to see how much smoke and what type of smoke would be optimum for smoke-drying tomatoes. I set up both the kettle and WSM for cold smoking, applied apple smoke to one and pecan to the other. I put tomatoes cut in half with a little salt and pepper on the top rack. I pulled some tomatoes off at 30 minute intervals and then finished them in the food dryer. The longest smoke application I tested was 150 minutes.

The winner was the apple smoke at 90 minutes. It had a nice smoke flavor that was not overwhelming. Pecan also had a nice smoke flavor at 60 minutes, but started to get a little bitter at 90 minutes and was more pronounced after that. Apple was a little more forgiving as it went past the ideal application point.

By the way, if you intend to finish smoke dried tomatoes in a dehydrator, you will want to have your food dryer outside, unless you want your whole house to smell like smoke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
By the way, if you intend to finish smoke dried tomatoes in a dehydrator, you will want to have your food dryer outside, unless you want your whole house to smell like smoke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

Why wouldn't I want my house to smell of smoke?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jim

Jim, it doesn't bother me one bit, but the problem is I share this house with a wife and two daughters who are so far tolerating my obsession with smoking anything whether animal, mineral and vegetable. I don't want to push my luck.

Back