slow smoke a rib roast

Never tried this, so seeking some advice.
I've reverse seared ribeye and tomahawk steaks with good (but not fab) results.
Next up is a 4.6 lb rib roast, 2 ribs, fat cap on. At 225, any guidelines as to how long this puppy will take to get to 125 internal?

Timothy, I appreciate your pointing me to that recipe. Followed it to the T, but have reservations about using it again as published. Foremost, I will cut the meat away from the bones, and then tie the roast so that it is as round as possible. Then apply the Worcestershire and rub. This way the meat gets assaulted by the heat evenly, thus cooking better. Having left it still attached to the bone, the roast itself was more of a teardrop shape, and there was no seasoning on 1/3 of the meat. So I ended up with some unseasoned well-done meat, and some unseasoned rare meat. (My wife shoots daggers if roast beef is not verging on medium.)
Another advantage of removing the meat from the bones - you can then set the bones in a drip tray underneath the roast for a gravy of sauce starter. (I finally have a use for the lower grate on my Bullet.)
Taste-wise, the part that was cooked to my satisfaction was GREAT!!!
Supplemental: do you/would you wrap the roast in foil or butcher paper for the last hour to help retain moisture?

Last edited:

Back