Significant Effect From Different Smoke Woods

Hey all!
I did another batch of spare ribs this weekend. I nailed them a few months ago, with 100% pure pink smoke meat. Some may not like them this way, but they were in my opinion the best ribs I've ever had. Since then, I've tried to reproduce the effect, but always fall short. I once again did my best to recreate the same variables, and sure enough, it worked - these were just as good or better. I'm pretty sure I've figured out what the difference is. Mesquite smoke, and lots of it. I put the ribs on early as the smoker was heating slowly via minion to the target or 275. Thick, agressive smoke poured from the unit for much of the first hour and a half at least.

I've done the exact (and I mean exact) same method using different, lighter wood (apple, cherry, oak), and just got a ring with decently tender meat. This time, it was literally smoked the entire way through.

Does this make sense? Can the different wood really make that much difference? Am I dreaming?!?!?! Thanks!

Matt

You said it yourself Matt:

"I've done the exact (and I mean exact) same method using different, lighter wood (apple, cherry, oak)..."

The wood really does make a difference. You can mimic your set up every time but if you use a different smoke wood you will have a different result. I haven't used oak on spare ribs before but apple and cherry are most def lighter than mesquite.

I have done pork butts with mesquite one time and apple the next and the different is huge in terms of smoke flavor and ring.

Matt different wood does make a lot of difference. I use mesquite 100% of the time, imo its the best of the best smoke wood if used properly. I might experiment with oak since i have tons of it at the ranch, also have tons and tons of mesquite at the ranch.

The tongue going numb would be from creosote; a byproduct from burning wood. It builds on meat if there is too much wood burning or not enough ventilation (one reason to keep the top vent 100% open all the time). It tates bitter and ruins the texture of the meat. I know, because I ruined a meal or two before I learned about it.

As for different woods, I haven't used mesquite for years. Oak is my main wood. Nice, moderate, smokey sweet goodness!

Matt,

A neat way to test for creosote.....

Hold a glass of icewater over the top vent while the smoke is coming out. it will soon get "sweaty" but the water droplets should all be clear. If there are brown or black spots that form on the glass, that's cresote. If you're getting it, brush out the inside of the smoker thoroughly, make sure you're keeping the top vent all the way open, and burn a little less wood.

Oh, and use a cheap glass. If there is creosote that forms, it tends not to come off.....

I was kind of kidding about the tongue numbness.
icon_smile.gif
Smoke flavor really boils down to being subjective in nature, so if you and your guests like a heavy mesquite flavor...well there ya go.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Another way to maximize the smoke ring though, is to put COLD meat on the smoker right out of the fridge. Also, I hear that briquettes will help more than lump, but I have no idea why.

I think I'll try some mesquite with brisket, since that's kind of "classic," but I don't think I'd like it so much with pork, and certainly not poultry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
Matt,

A neat way to test for creosote.....

Hold a glass of icewater over the top vent while the smoke is coming out. it will soon get "sweaty" but the water droplets should all be clear. If there are brown or black spots that form on the glass, that's cresote. If you're getting it, brush out the inside of the smoker thoroughly, make sure you're keeping the top vent all the way open, and burn a little less wood.

Oh, and use a cheap glass. If there is creosote that forms, it tends not to come off..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt, thanks for the lesson. I never knew that little trick. Of course I have never suspected creosote build up but what the hey, a glass of water will tell me. I wonder if it will work with a glass of beer?
icon_cool.gif

Mark,

Have you ever tried smoked beer (aka "Rauchbier")? It's pretty good. There are several micros in the US that brew it, but to my mind Aecht Schlenkerla (from Bamberg, Germany, the capital of smoked beer) is the standard.

The German style uses beechwood to smoke the malted barley before brewing.

Back