Seared ahi, again

What are your favorite sauces for ahi Brett?
I like mine rather simple.
Wasabi and a little soy work.
Sometimes some homemade chili crisp.
Squirt of lime never hurt either.
i like to make a few:

soy sauce, wasabi and sriracha
soy, water, sugar, mirin, sesame oil with minced green onion
kewpie mayo, sriracha, paprika, gran garlic, gran onion, seasoned rice vinegar, mirin
frozen orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, water
kewpie mayo, wasabi, seasoned rice vinegar

and of course, fresh citrus squeezed alone is plenty good. it all just depends what i'm in the mood to eat or make.

i did have some of these leftovers for breakfast. so nothing goes to waste on ahi in our house.

What temp to aim for? Gf loves seared Ahi.
I am hesitant to ruin such.
there is not temp. it's all visual cook.

my lodge griddle is at heat level 6/10 for the preheat and stays there for the cook.

lightly salted on the ahi
rubbed with sesame oil
sprinkled with cracked black pepper
topped with white and black sesame seeds and gently press the seeds onto the ahi
place on hot griddle until you see the white layer develop on the bottom
then flip to do the same to the next layer, seeing a white visual layer while looking at the side profile of the ahi (see my pics above)
remove to a wire rack and rest for 5 minutes uncovered
slice with a very sharp slicing knife across the grain
plate and serve
we usually accompany this meal with: english cukes, sliced avo, rice (basmati or jasmine), grilled asparagus, madarin oranges, sliced pineapple

and of course, a good beer or three!

i'm sure your costco gets fresh ahi flown in. no?

this is actually a lazy mans dinner cook :) that's why i am so good at it.

They do, but it gets picked up almost immediately, so you generally have to be there right when it's put out. I've seen it in the cooler a couple of times and passed by, then thought better of it and walked back to get it. Nope. All gone.

I have yet to see it at Costco. But I keep looking.
Ask your Costco butcher if they get it. That’d be the fastest way to find out. And if so, what days are it delivered.

Or check out a local fish monger or high volume seafood vendor.

From my own experiences years ago, I remember it was difficult to get fresh seafood in the mid west. Only frozen was readily available. This was over 20 years ago.

Back