Scotch in spritz?

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
I've heard a number of people use spritzes consisting of apple juice and Jack Daniels with some success, but I'm wondering if anybody's ever tried using Scotch?

I have a couple of bottles of scotch-water (a.k.a. Glenfiddich) that were given to me by well-meaning folks who don't have a real Scotch palate, and I know that not only will I never drink the stuff, I wouldn't dare serve it to friends either. Can it be used successfully in Q or is the flavour profile all wrong?

I've never found that spritzing with anything does much for flavor. But Scotch (or other whiskeys) can be successfully used in glazes and/or sauces.

Personally, I've never met a scotch I can't drink. Well. Almost. I use an apple Juice Jack Daniels mist, and I just aim to keep the meat moist and add a bit of flavour to the bark.

I don't really do spritz's but I do end up in your situation from time to time. I just sub the scotch in sauces that use jd. Comes out good.

Clark

I'm a little concerned about aerated alcohol near an open flame... you might want to use it in a mopping sauce.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
I'm a little concerned about aerated alcohol near an open flame... you might want to use it in a mopping sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Live a little! Just don't use Bacardi 151

By the time you mix it with the apple juice, it is so diluted I doubt you could light it with a blow torch. It's not the same as spraying straight Jack or Scotch.

Hi Peter - I know this is coming in a little late but I'm not sure I would use that Scotch to spritz with. I think I agree with Canada Mike, that I've never met a Scotch I didn't like, especially if it had a name like MACALLAN, either 12 or 18 years old. MMMM MMMM MMMM ! A two full fingers w/ice will help you dole out just the right amount of apple juice. Regards, Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Another Bob B:
Hi Peter - I know this is coming in a little late but I'm not sure I would use that Scotch to spritz with. I think I agree with Canada Mike, that I've never met a Scotch I didn't like, especially if it had a name like MACALLAN, either 12 or 18 years old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh heck no; not a Macallan that's for sure! The issue is that friends have given me bottles that were inexpensive but really undrinkable if you have a developed palate for single-malt Scotch. I'd like to be able to incorporate it into Cue somehow, if that's at all possible, and still have the basic flavours come through.

And as for ice??
icon_redface.gif
Ice is to scotch what parboiling and an oven is to a perfectly good slab of ribs!
icon_biggrin.gif

They say that adding a little water to whiskey helps to release the full flavor. Subbing scotch for whiskey in sauce would give it a nice smokey flavor. But like was mentioned before I'm not going to use a nicely flavored scotch for anything but imbibing.
icon_biggrin.gif

I always spritz with apple juice and Scotch. I never use anything too good, but I wouldn't want to use Glenfiddich even for that.

-Mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeterD:
I've heard a number of people use spritzes consisting of apple juice and Jack Daniels with some success, but I'm wondering if anybody's ever tried using Scotch?

I have a couple of bottles of scotch-water (a.k.a. Glenfiddich) that were given to me by well-meaning folks who don't have a real Scotch palate, and I know that not only will I never drink the stuff, I wouldn't dare serve it to friends either. Can it be used successfully in Q or is the flavour profile all wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have been a scotch drinker all my adult life and Glenfiddich Is my first choice. At $54.00 A bottle it is top shelf around here. Tell you what you pm me and I'll take it off your hands for the same price you paid for it and you can ship it to me C.O.D.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeterD:

I have a couple of bottles of scotch-water (a.k.a. Glenfiddich) that were given to me by well-meaning folks who don't have a real Scotch palate, and I know that not only will I never drink the stuff, I wouldn't dare serve it to friends either. Can it be used successfully in Q or is the flavour profile all wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never used scotch but one night we were cooking a jambalaya with 20 pounds of rice and about 20 pounds of pork and chicken. We had some chicken left over so we fired up the gas grill and grilled the left over chicken. We didn't have any bbq sauce so we improvised and used a bottle of Southern Comfort . Turned out pretty good. Jambalaya was pretty good also.

I should add, to protect my rep, that I disdain all singles that begin with "Glen." I know, there's a couple that are less common and quite good, but it's a sure enough thing that I gave it to me mum as a rule when buying for me: Nothing that starts with Glen. That said, I'd drink it before tossing it, and their 18 year old stuff isn't half bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
I should add, to protect my rep, that I disdain all singles that begin with "Glen." I know, there's a couple that are less common and quite good, but it's a sure enough thing that I gave it to me mum as a rule when buying for me: Nothing that starts with Glen. That said, I'd drink it before tossing it, and their 18 year old stuff isn't half bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It ain't half good, either
icon_biggrin.gif

Now, if you happen across some Glenfarclas from, say, 1967 or even the early 70s, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands. Glendronach is pretty nice stuff at a very good price. Nothing beats my Ardbegs, however, although Highland Park and Macallan try very very hard!

I just wasn't able to do a cook this weekend, but when the weather and my time combine to get a couple of slabs going I'll do a spritz experiment with apple juice and 10YO Glenlivet. While I'd love to experiment with some Ardbeg spritz, I just can't bring myself to doing it
icon_smile.gif

Hey, be fair! I said it was just a rule for my mom. I know there are good ones, but not mostly available in duty free shops. I've tried both you mention [though not those years] and they're excellent.

Back