Sausage confusion...

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
I've been doing some research about an upcoming barbecue I'm hosting. I'm required to do pulled pork, I think there'd be a rebellion if I didn't, but I'm curious to try something else along with it. Usually I do St. Louis spares, and originally I wanted to try my hand at brisket, but I think I'll need to do a few practice runs before trying to serve that to the public.

Anyway, I came across a link here on the forums to Ostrowski's here in Baltimore. I called the guy to inquire about his hours and explained that I was looking for fresh kielbasa I wanted to smoke myself. He said I needed a cure, but at the time I didn't know what he was talking about so I just said ok and thanked him for his time.

I went on to read that various things from various sources. Since I'll be putting the sausage on at the tail end of a butt cook, the temps will be relatively low. I read that smoking uncured fresh sausages will have a chance of getting people sick. More specifically I came across this from another smoking forum:

"The concern with low temperature smoking (where product is between 40-140 F) is botulism poisoning, although it is very rare. Between these temperatures the botulism spores produce a nerve toxin and if the amount of toxin gets high enough it can cause sickness and death.

To counter this, most cured/smoked sausage include a very small amount of Sodium Nitrite (not Nitrate.. that is entirely different); this is included in "Pink Salt" or "Salt Cure's" such as Cure #1 and similar products. Even in these products, they are about 94% regular salt and only about 6% sodium nitrite.

If your fresh kielbasa includes sodium nitrite, you are OK; but if not, you have to decide how much concern you have for the low-chance that the 6 hours it will take your sausage to get an internal temperature above 150F will cause problems. As others have mentioned, the faster you get your sausage out of the "danger zone" of 40-140F, the better, so a hotter smoke is preferable.. but remember that it is the temperature inside of your sausage that matters, not the temperature of your smoker. The first batch of sausages I did with my Bradley I had set to 180F and they took 6 hours to get up to an internal temp of 150F.

I'm sure everyone has their own tolerance for "chance"; my cooking background is from foodservice and commercial restaurants, and in that business you can't afford to kill anyone :p so I personally wouldn't smoke a sausage at low temp unless I knew there was nitrite in it, even though the chances of a problem are very low - but I'm sure the there are people who never ever add nitrite and have smoked for years without a problem."

So, I guess since the butcher told me I would need a cure I can assume there isn't any sodium nitrite in his product. Would you recommend I just purchse some already cooked kielbasa and throw them on the smoker to bring them to temp only or should I chance it with the fresh stuff?

Thanks!

Kyle why would the temp be that low if you have a butt on there? I have smoked sausage and unsmoked kielbasa before at 225-250* with no issues.

THis is more of a concern when you're cold-smoking or slow-smoking sausages at very low temperatures. Smoking fresh sausages to cook them really pretty much kills the botulism bacteria, and they cook fast enough that the botulism doesn't have time to produce significant amounts of toxins.

So long as you're not smoking at 150 degrees for 8 hours or something, you'll be fine. Smoke at like 200 until they are cooked. No worries.

Yeah, I'll definitely be in the 225* region. I guess I misunderstood the quote when he said the product will be between 40-140*, I thought he meant internally. Thank you for your swift replies, I love me some smoked sausage, so I'm very excited to try my hand at it.

Alrighty then, that settles that. Now all I need to do is decide how much sausage to buy. Thanks for the swift replies, guys.

I smoked uncooked sausage for the first time on Sunday. It was on for about 1.5 hrs and avg. temp was 240. Came out fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I thought he meant internally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
He did.

But he is incorrect that 'between these temperatures the botulism spores produce nerve toxin'. It is more narrow and a bit more complicated than that.

If you are smoking at typical temps - not cold smoking - and take the sausage to a safe internal, there is no concern.

Back