saucing large amounts of ribs

I have never done more than 3 racks of ribs on my 18.5 WSM yet but it is something i plan on doing. I also do not own any Rib racks yet. These might come do me one day with xmass and birthday gifts as i never seem to want to spend money on them.

So for now i have always thought i will roll the ribs and cook about 4 racks on the top and another 4 racks on the bottom. I figure wrapping in foil won't be to hard since i can just stack them on each other like i do when i cook 3 racks. The issue then is how do you sauce all those ribs when you don't have the room? Do you sauce them and then roll them back up?

One thought would be to fire up another grill, if you have one, to finish the ribs. I never add sauce till the last 15 minutes and very little at that time. I go for the dry look with just a little glaze.
Since the racks will not all finish at the same time you could transfer the ones to the hot grill for a glaze as they finish.

Mike

yes, pull off smoker, lay flat, sauce, and put on grill for 5-10 minutes to caramelize the sauce. A little more complicated, but it allows you to roll with skewers on the smoke for more racks and the caramelization is MONEY! I usually put three rolls on each rack, four might be tough but if you can more power to you!

Back