SANTA BROUGHT ME A THERMAPEN!!

Chris Smith

TVWBB Fan
So excited to put this thing to use soon. I was playing with it yesterday, trying to see if the 3-second reading claim was accurate and it seems like it isn't...I would pinch the probe between my fingers and watch the gauge rise, but it took a lot longer than 3 seconds to hone in on a temp. Also, upon release it remained much warmer than ambient for some time...is all of this normal?

I was also given the iGrill remote thermometer with dual probes to use with my iphone...this one is kind of interesting but I don't know much about the probe quality. I may use this one for continuous reading and the Thermapen for more direct inspection.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, upon release it remained much warmer than ambient for some time...is all of this normal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very normal. I find that taking ambient temps with "air space" around the probe takes longer than when you actually "insert" the probe into meat.

Ray

you might want to try jabbing it into your shoulder to take your temp.
icon_biggrin.gif

Alternative 1 = Boiling water (rolling boil)
Alternative 2 = Ice Bath (just enough water to float the ice)

Both would produce the results you want and I'm sure it would be within the 3 - 4 seconds advertised. You're really going to like the Thermapen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
you might want to try jabbing it into your shoulder to take your temp.
icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe. First thing that came to my mind too.

I agree, they definately do take a little longer when held between your fingers or to take the ambient temp but they aren't really made for that purpose
icon_wink.gif

Try the ice bath. That should give you quick results and allow you to check for accuracy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Smith:
is all of this normal?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They work. Stick it in boiling water. You'll see 212 in a flash. Unless, of course, you got the yellow one.
icon_smile.gif

Congrats, Chris on the new Thermapen!

Santa hasn't brought me a Thermapen... yet. My mother was supposed to come to our house for Christmas dinner & gifts yesterday, but she is under the weather. I have a Thermoworks RT600 thermometer (love it, but it isn't a Thermapen!) and I had an inexpensive Taylor digital as a backup. Found out the hard way that the Taylor is neither waterproof or water resistant the hard way,
icon_frown.gif
so now I am in the market for another backup digital thermometer or a Thermapen. I saw a Polder that looked pretty good before Christmas at a store and went back yesterday to get it. Of course, they were sold out.
icon_frown.gif
icon_mad.gif

I told my wife I was going to order a different model from Thermoworks (makers of Thermapen), and she said not to get anything before we exchange gifts with my Mom. I asked if she was getting me a Thermapen, and she wouldn't answer.

There's still hope of Santa coming through with a Thermapen for me!
icon_smile.gif

Congratulations. I can't find my thermapen manual but I think it deals with slight adjustments in temp that go beyond the "3 seconds" claim.

Some of the time it takes mine around 6-8 seconds to hone in on a relatively stable temp. By that I mean within a degree or two. But, most of the time the 3 seconds is about all I need to get a reasonably stable reading.

I like my thermapen. I wouldn't sell it for what I paid for it. It's much better than the previous "instant read" that I had and returned. I paid just about as much for it as I did for my thermapen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Smith:
So excited to put this thing to use soon. I was playing with it yesterday, trying to see if the 3-second reading claim was accurate and it seems like it isn't... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Congrats Chris. Thermapen's just rock. I agree about the 3-second thing. Mine is just a second or so longer, but very accurate. I use it year round.
As I live in central MA., we have typical New England winters with wide fluctuations in outside temps. These temps seem to effect my propane pressure, my temp settings, and my cooking time. Without the Thermapen, I'd be lost.
I kinda got a little dependant on it.
icon_smile.gif

Chris,

I know what you mean about the Thermapen wandering around while you put it between your finger tips. However, when use it as directed in meat on your WSM...it hits the mark in a hurry!! It may move a tenth of a degree or two as it locks in, but it really is fast and accurate. I consider this therm the benchmark among digital instant read device. Graet gift you received!

Love mine! Used for all those " feels done but..." moments. And you cant compare reading airflow to temp a mass. Mine works as stated.

Congrats.

The definition of "stable temperature" is also open for interpretation. It will get to within something like 97% of the true temp within 3 seconds, but that last 3% could take a little more, and any fluctuation in true temp will also add time. Google temperature rise time constants to see more about how temp measurements look and work.

Intro1A2.gif

chad

Tried out my new Thermapen last night on a couple of pork butts. It works great! So nice having something that you can have faith that the temperature reading is correct. Thank you honey for such a wonderful Christmas gift!

Mom came through!

0101122127c.jpg

You are looking at the FASTEST color - Orange!
icon_biggrin.gif

Mom also brought some sirloin steaks, and my new Thermapen read the temps within 4-5 seconds, which is plenty fast. I checked them against my (now backup) Thermoworks RT600, and they were within a few tenths from each other. Much easier to read than my old one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim H.:
Mom came through!

0101122127c.jpg

You are looking at the FASTEST color - Orange!
icon_biggrin.gif

Mom also brought some sirloin steaks, and my new Thermapen read the temps within 4-5 seconds, which is plenty fast. I checked them against my (now backup) Thermoworks RT600, and they were within a few tenths from each other. Much easier to read than my old one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is the exact same color I bought myself for Christmas. I have not used mine yet.

Wayne

Back