Rub first or dry first?

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
Hi all-
I have brined our turkey for Sundays dinner and I'm about to take it out. Do I let it dry in the fridge for the 24-hrs and then put the rub on it or do I rub it and then out it in the fridge? Thanks!

Hi all- Do I let it dry in the fridge for the 24-hrs and then put the rub on it or do I rub it and then out it in the fridge? Thanks!
I've never let mine sit in the fridge after brining, and every brine I've read says to do so. So that's a good move on your part. I pat my bird dry with paper towels (you don't need to) and about an hour before I cook it, I put on my rub. I very lightly put oil on the skin (oil on a paper towel) rub down the bird with the oil, so that the rub sticks. Very light on the oil, and if you have a good quality Olive Oil, all the better.

Before oiling and rubbing the skin, I rub under the breast skin. I found it easiest to do that part first.

Sounds like you're going to have a great Turkey tomorrow :)

I wish I would have seen this about 26-hrs ago! I went ahead and rubbed then the overnight. It smells fantastic & I really hope it tastes good as it smells! I also have a fresh (cured but not previously smoked) ham going too. It all looks great!

Normally you should rub shortly before putting on the smoker. However if you've already rubbed not gonna hurt, just check it before putting on the smoker to see if it needs touching up. Enjoy

Back