Ribs per person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Vrobel

TVWBB Member
Does anyone have an estimate of how many ribs you should serve per person for 'average' eaters? Or how many people per slab of ribs?

Also, what about loin back vs spare ribs?

Thanks.

It can vary Mike but I like to plan a half rack of loin backs per person. This is of course only if this is the only meat course I'm serving. If I'm including chicken I might cut it back to a third rack.

For catering purposes you would figure 3 bones per person or 4 persons per rack. We would then figure in a 10% more for extra people that may show up.
If this a group of adult men then you would have to figure more, say half rack each. Most parties are a mix with women and childern eating less so the three bones per person should work.
I figure the same for spares or BB
Jim

Yikes. I guess I'm eating too much. I usually eat a full rack of back or spare ribs all by myself!!

George, Jim, thanks for the info.

Russ, that's my problem too. When I have my in-laws over for a cookout, I use up about the number of slabs that Jim and George talk about - 3 bones to a half slab per person.

However, when MY family comes over for a cookout,
I need one slab per person. Minimum.

I'm having the in-laws over on the 4th, so I was curious what a 'normal' amount of ribs would be.

I am, by request doing back ribs for my upcoming block party. I am going to cook probably 6 or maybe a few more racks for about 20-30 people. I have lots of other food though and the party is all day so people come and go. I really have no idea how may people will show up so when they run out they will eat something else. I will cook in two batches.
I will also have a butt or two on the night before.

On the way to work this morning, I heard a radio interview with a pork producer and they were discussing portion sizes for the upcoming holiday cookouts. The producer’s recommendation was 1 pound of ribs (raw weight) per person for an average crowd with an equal male/female mix.

Bear in mind that asking a pork producer how many ribs you’ll need is a lot like asking a barber if you need a haircut. With that caveat said, his rule of thumb does sound plausible.

If cooking for all men, I’d plan on increasing that amount by at least 50%. If cooking for all women, I’d save the ribs for myself and make them some boneless, skinless, tasteless, pointless chicken breasts instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back