Ribs -- General Question, and Maybe a Little More

Eugene A

TVWBB Fan
Hello, Everyone:

I've been experimenting with different ways of handling ribs, baby backs and pork spares. I finally settled on the following methods: 3-2-1 for pork spare ribs; and, 2-2-1 for baby backs.

This time around the WSM held temp within 10 degrees up or down, except for when I removed the lid; but, it ratcheted back to the zone within a few minutes when I put the lid back on.

Here's my current dilemma. I had two large racks of pork spares, and I cut each in half. The three hour part went without incident. For the wrapped part, I wrapped each section, adding maybe a half cup of apple juice before closing the foil. When I went to remove the ribs from the foil, one section was so tender that it started falling apart. I couldn't get it back on the smoker; so, I just put it in a dish and wrapped the dish in foil to keep it warm. The other three sections held together quite nicely.

When I went to cut the ribs apart on the three sections that held together, the knife didn't even pierce the meat, instead acting to pull the meat off the bone. My company LOVED it, making it known that they like fall-off-the-bone tender. I don't. I like a little tug on the meat.

I would think that the entire rack of ribs would react the same to the cooking temp. How is it that one piece of the rack held together for the entire cook, while another piece fell apart? Is this the way it is, or did I do something wrong?

As always, thanks for your input.

I guess that if the guests really like it, and they weren't just being kind, then I didn't do anything wrong.

Eugene, welcome to the forum! From what you wrote it sounds like you cooked your ribs a bit longer than you desired. I would suggest that instead of cooking to a specific time, cook till done! There are various methods to test ribs for doneness, and your doneness may be different than my ideal level of doneness. I personally cook ribs uncovered until they achieve the color I want! I then foil! laying a thin layer of butter and brown sugar on the foil! placing ribs on that! then placing same butter and sugar on top of ribs! spray with AJ, and wrap foil into a pouch. Now I cook till done. I use a toothpick, inserted into the meat between the bones. When just shy of done I unwrap, glaze, and put ribs back on the grate uncovered to set the glaze.
Happy smokin'

Mark

Last edited:
Eugene, welcome to the forum! From what you wrote it sounds like you cooked your ribs a bit longer than you desired. I would suggest that instead of cooking to a specific time, cook till done! There are various methods to test ribs for doneness, and your doneness may be different than my ideal level of doneness. I personally cook ribs uncovered until they achieve the color I want! I then foil! laying a thin layer of butter and brown sugar on the foil! placing ribs on that! then placing same butter and sugar on top of ribs! spray with AJ, and wrap foil into a pouch. Now I cook till done. I use a toothpick, inserted into the meat between the bones. When just shy of done I unwrap, glaze, and put ribs back on the grate uncovered to set the glaze.
Happy smokin'

Mark

Maybe I should go that route. But if I go by doneness instead of by time, then how do I figure out when to schedule the gathering? I know, for example, with pork butt approximately how many hours it'll be cooking, and I tell my guests an hour or two beyond the cook time -- that way even if it's done earlier it'll rest in the cooler for a while. Do I handle ribs the same way?

I would suggest trying just one hour in the foil on both. I've even found that 45 minutes in the foil is plenty when I'm cooking hotter at say 275.

I tried the pork spare ribs 2-1-1, and The Boss didn't like them that way. Then I went 2-2-1, and they were close, according to The Boss, but not close enough; therefore, we settled on 3-2-1, and it seems I hit the jackpot with the crowd...AND with The Boss.

My experience has been that the 3,2,1 or whatever variation of that but in clocking foil results in ribs that fall apart which is great if you like it. Since then I quit foiling and when I hit it, they're wonderful. That said, when I miss, I miss big. Foiling almost garantees a similar result, non foiling is a little harder to get consistency

Usually one side of the ribs is a little thicker than the other. That could be the reason for the difference in how they cooked. I've done various different takes on the 3-2-1 foil method, and I've stopped foiling my ribs now. Its so much easier, and not as messy. I really like the way they turn out. Tender, but not fall off the bone, and moist. I do 225-250° leaning towards the 225°mark, and I run it with water. Give it a try some time. Here's some I did in apple wood.

Back