Ribs for a Group

Eugene A

TVWBB Fan
Hello, Everyone:

I've been shooting my mouth off to my friends/neighbors about my grilling/barbecuing prowess, basic though it may be; so, I had to follow through with something more than just talk. So, I'll be hosting a "ribfest" later this month. I'll be going to BJ's, or if my neighbor/friend comes through, to the PX at the base to purchase the meat. I already have my recipe depending on whether it's baby backs or pork spares.

For a party of 12-15 people, how much meat? We'll provide slaw and the brewskies, and I'm asking guests to bring sides, specifically, grits and corn bread, and whatever else the guests decide to bring. Would making ABT's in addition to the ribs be overkill?

For The Boss and me we get by with one rack, be it pork spares or baby backs, and we usually have leftovers. We tried ABT's once, using bell peppers because I wimped out on using the jalapenos, and we barely had room for the main course. The ABT's were very filling.

As always, thanks for your input.

I'd say 6-8 ribs/guy; 3-5/gal. Depends on eater size, appetite and BBQ love. You could just do dinosaur eggs in the regular oven if grill estate is a problem. Easy to do.

Go with spares and cut them down to St Louis cut. Better taste. For that many people I'd probably do 8-10 slabs. When done, cut them in two rib pieces.

I was figuring for a crowd of 12-15, that maybe three or five slabs would be more than enough.

We Italians always overcompensate when it comes to food. That is why I wanted to check with my barbecue brethren and brethrenettes before I bought anything.

Bill Farmer, the people in my crowd are not big eaters. A few months ago I hosted a "butt fest." I had two pork butts, app. 5-6 pounds each. We had plenty left over, even accounting for the doggie bags. So, I think that 8-10 slabs may be a bit much. In my younger days, maybe 8-10 slabs may have been just enough.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Back