Ribs and apple juice brined turkey

Tom_M

TVWBB Super Fan
Brined the turkey breast for about 8 hours in apple juice, salt, honey and sugar then air dried it in the fridge for about four hours. Put it and two racks of St. Louis style spare ribs on the WSM with three golf ball size chunks of pecan and a foiled clay pot base in the water pan.

I pulled the turkey when it hit 160 and it turned out great, very juicy and just about the right amount of smoke. I'm not sure the apple juice and honey really added anything that a plain old salt, sugar and water based brine accomplishes.

The ribs got a bit darker than I like but tasted great. Pecan is a magical wood.

I don't like fall off the bone ribs and always aim for the elusive bite through finish which I nailed this time and tried to show in the last picture.

Enjoy!

003-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

013-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

011-2.jpg

016-1.jpg

Good job on the bird and ribs. Nice bite on the ribs. Curious to know one thing - what temp was your cooker at and how did the skin turn out on the bird? Just curious. Also, if you're looking for a good apple juice brine, try this one. I think you'll like it, I use it all the time.

Thanks everyone. Russ, cooking temp was around 250-260 the whole time and the skin on the turkey was rubbery because of the low cooking temp, but we never eat the skin anyway.

Great post and great way to multi-purpose the WSM!! Turkey looks perfect and ribs... I'll take a rack right now!!

LOve it!!!

Oh baby those ribs look delish.. And that Turkey! Got any neighbors that are moving? I think I want to move now!!

Very nice Tom. One question? Does your ribs taste like ham? Mine do, and I see alot of red meat on yours.I know some of it's from smoke but I can't get by the taste of ham.
I brought this up a while back and I received a lot of ansewers. Still getting ham taste!
Thanks for sharing.

Chuck.

Originally posted by Chuck Dugas:
Very nice Tom. One question? Does your ribs taste like ham? Mine do, and I see alot of red meat on yours.I know some of it's from smoke but I can't get by the taste of ham.
I brought this up a while back and I received a lot of ansewers. Still getting ham taste!
Thanks for sharing.

Chuck.

No, these didn't. Are you using enhanced ribs by any chance? Or possibly hickory wood? Some guy's/gals have said both of those could cause a ham like flavor.

Back