Rib Smoke

Hey all,
Quick question about smoking ribs. I've done several racks of ribs on my WSM, and they are far superior to ribs done with other methods in my opinion. However, as my own worst critic, I'm trying to nail down an issue that has bothered me this whole time.

I've used both spare and back ribs, with spare ribs giving me the best results. My method has been modified each time. First batch was a quick dry rub, 4.5 hours 250 degrees. Pretty good, but not amazing. Second batch, I soaked them in apple/lemon mix for 2 hours, and used sand instead of water as my heat sink. Same 4.5 hours at 250. This batch was completely smoked. I mean every single speck of meat was pink smoked meat. Incredible flavor, incredible tenderness and moistness. Third batch was done the same as the second but with back ribs. Better than the first batch, but not smoked completely and a touch dry in some places. It's also worth noting that on the first and second batch I used mesquite chunks (which I hear is normally too intense for pork).

So the first question - is the objective to get smoked, pink meat throughout the entire rib rack? That's been my objective, but only because the best batch by far was completely thoroughly smoked. If that's the objective, what made difference between my first and second? As Kevin and others have pointed out (and per experts like McGee), soaking meat in liquid doesn't achieve much other than some surface flavor. The outside temp was different with each one (winter/spring in ohio!), but the smoker read 250 for basically the whole time. I spiked at 350 for about 5 mins after adding more charcoal, but that couldn't have killed it since people on this forum actually do ribs at 350 the entire time.

If you guys have any thoughts, I'd welcome them. I'm just struggling with whether to equate 100% smoked with tender/moist.

Matt,

The pink smoke ring is just a chemical reaction that takes place and turns it pink. How thick or intense the smoke ring (SR) depends on several factors, but a thick SR does not equate to a meat being "smoked" more than another. As for the different factors, other people on here can go more in depth. From my experience, putting the meat cold into the smoker and using water in the water pan will create a larger SR. This is because moisture helps the chemical reaction along, so if the meat is cold, moisture condenses on the meat once in the hot environment.

The objective is cook food you like (And possibly your family). Everyone has different levels of smoke they prefer.

350 for a couple of minutes didn't hurt you.

As for why the back ribs where a touch dry, spare ribs have more fat in them so they are going to be more flavorful and can be juicy if cooked properly. I only cook spares for this reason.

Hope this helps, and someone will get on here with the technical aspects of a SR.

Josh,
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know about the back ribs vs spare ribs. The top "strip" of meat on the back ribs always seems to come out dry, even when I've seen other people do it.

The thing about the smoke is that those were just flat out the best ribs I've ever had, and I was thrilled that I made them! I haven't been able to reproduce that complete smoking effect yet, but I really would like to know what it is that makes it happen.

I'm sure I'm reading into the SR too much. It just represents my current best batch, so I'm fixated!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

Matt

I understand, you want to reproduce what you made and since it had the thick SR, you would think that would be part of it.

However, I have had too much smoke with not much of a SR, and a huge SR and not enough smoke.

I have an absolute HORRIBLE memory (Due to many factors over the years, none good), so I keep logs and timelines of my cooks when doing things for the first few times or trying a different method. I can then go back and see exactly what I did and the outcome. There are smoke logs on the TVWB main site, but you can use something as simple as a peice of paper or a spreadsheet.

This is the one thing that has improved my cooking the most in the past couple years. Knowing why I made changes and how those changes affected the outcome.

"apple/lemon mix for 2 hours" Lemon juice is more acidic than apple juice and will affect the meat more than just plain apple juice(or plain rub).

Humidity affects amount of smoke ring. Water in the pan should get you a better smoke ring but every time you "peek" it will affect the humidity.

Smoke Ring

Yeah, I keep a spreadsheet that details each cooking session, just so I can remember it well enough.

Josh, interesting thought in seperating the SR with actual smoke - I always assumed they were one and the same.

Thanks for the ideas again fellas. I think I'm going to try again this weekend with another set of spares.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt J. (Mattski):
I think I'm going to try again this weekend with another set of spares. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the best part of learning to "Q".

And it's why I don't mind being such a slow learner at times...

The smoke ring forms while the meat is under 140 deg. in my experience and experimentation.

For best advantage put the meat on out of the fridge. I pull my ribs from the fridge and salt them. I rub them after starting the smoker. Place the ribs on the rack while the cooker is coming up to temp.

More time under 140deg meat temp equals a nicer ring. After 140 of meat temp ring formation stops.

That's been my experience after following posts on this topic (Kevin K. Bryan S. and many others) over several years and has become my rule of thumb. Not specific to ribs either, same with beef, meatloaf, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For best advantage put the meat on out of the fridge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

Back