Rib Rub

If you wanted to replace those with cardamom I would cut the celery to 1/2 t and add 3/4 t of cardamom. If you wanted to keep those items in and add cardamon I would simply add 3/4 t of cardamom. It works well with those three things if you like them.

Great, I'll just add it then, mixing as I type! Can't wait! Got lucky, had every ingredient listed, how often does that happen w/a Kevin K rub?

Kevin, sorry one last question, it's actually too late because I rubbed them already but I'm curious how much salt this is, "Kosher salt generously on the rack." I used just under a table spoon per rack (spares), did I come close?

Decided to flip my ribs (don't know why I never do, I just think I wanted to see them) and I tasted some of the rub off of the tongs I used, DAMN! Looking forward to them coming off. Thanks for the recipe!

Yes. I just eyeball. I always suggest imagining the rack as if it were unsalted but cooked and served like that, to be salted to taste. Figuring some later loss, I'd say it comes in close to a T.

Kevin, out of this world, awesome flavor, best ribs I've ever done, SO's son just came home and ate a rack just to confirm. What a great flavor. Thanks for sharing, it's my new rib rub . . . the cardamom kicked it up just a little bit more.

Good one Kevin! Really like it. Tried it a couple of weeks ago, gonna make another batch this weekend. Green peppercorns are the key.

I'm going to do this rub for my three racks of BBR's for Sunday's smoke. Kevin, what kind of sugar are you suggesting here? I'm partial to Turbinado.

White.

Dave-- This recipe was one of thew very first I posted, maybe Day 2 or 3 of my membership. At that time there were few if any refernces to chilies other than paprika. I figured the ancho would be received okay, but wasn't really sure of the other (iirc it was guajillo or, more likely, a guajillo-aji amarillo blend). I didn't go with all ancho because I wanted to show it as a blend of chilies, not, at that time, something I'd seen much done on the board save for the occasional paprika-chili powder combos.

These BBR's came out so good, I did not DARE put any sauce on them. I foiled for the first time, adding a little OJ into the packets, then removing the ribs again to the smoker to firm up a bit.

We hit a place in Gilbert last weekend on our way back from Flagstaff that we had seen on Food Network. Apparently, Joe's Real BBQ is supposed to be the best place in AZ. It was so bad, despite him being conscientious to use pecan wood. The worst cole slaw I've ever had and such a sickenly sweet sauce laden with molasses. After my review on Yelp, the owner contacted me offering to return my money. No thanks, I'll just keep doing it at home and blow everyone else out of the water. I really appreciate learning what depth of flavor really means and what fabulous results are attainable with BBQ.

Kevin,

Would you suggest to salt and then immediately apply the rub, or to salt and allow for X time to elapse before applying the rub (sorry if I missed this somewhere!)?

With beef, I like to salt, wait, rub...but I am not sure whether pork needs the waiting period.

TIA,

Wait til the salt draws moisture to the surface, maybe 10 min or so. I make the rub during that time. Then apply over the moist surface. It will stick well.

Kevin if I were to use the guajillo instead of paprika would you suggest the same amount as was used in the recipes as posted (1/4 cup)?

Originally posted by K Kruger:
My rub recipe from last night's ribs. Served with Kinda Carolina sauce on the side...

Do you have the recipe for your Carolina sauce?

Originally posted by Evan T:
Do you have the recipe for your Carolina sauce?
Here you go Bud.
icon_smile.gif

Kevin, I don't have any ancho chili powder at home, but I do have plain old regular chili powder from Sam's Club. Could I substitute this for the ancho powder without effecting the taste too much, and if so, would I use the same amount?

Thanks, Kevin! I'm cooking ribs soon and want to give this rub a try, but I didn't want to buy ancho chili powder until I use the chili powder I've already got.

Back