Review of extruded coconut lump in WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Welte

TVWBB Member
Last weekend I tried out the box of extruded coconut lump that I ordered from Kamado. The box was a little lighter than advertised at 15 lbs but overall I was impressed with the quantity of charcoal. I was doing an overnight cook with two pork butts and a brisket. The temp was 32 degrees when I started.

The WSM charcoal bowl will hold an entire box of coconut lump. This is a pretty good load of charcoal and I stacked the charcoal on end with all of the holes in the center of the lump facing vertical. I saved a couple of pounds for a friend so overall I probably had 11-13 lbs of charcoal in the pan. I lit the coconut by lighting some BGE lump in a Weber chimney. When it was going I poured it in the middle of the coconut charcoal. This was my attempt at the Minion Method with this stuff and within an hour the smoker was up to temp. One addition that I did add to the mix was a BBQ Guru to control the draft in the smoker. I placed the meat on the smoker, set the temp for 235, and went inside for a while. I checked on the smoker one last time to make sure everything was still going and turned in for the night. I awoke the next morning at 7:30 and went out to check on everyhting. The Guru was chugging along with the blower kicking on every couple of seconds to maintain temp. The temp that morning was 20 degrees and the wind was blowing slightly.

I checked the charcoal (9 hours lit) and to my surprise there was still about 1/2 a bowl of unlit charcoal. We continued to cook for another 8 hours at which that time we pulled the meat. The smoker still had enough charcoal in it that I felt I could have maybe pulled off a 24 hour cook. The coconut lump did not produce much ash at all and what it did was a fraction of what Kingsford would produce. In all of my previous cooks with Kingsford I had to add about a chimney's worth of charcoal at the 12 hour mark. At an elevation of 5500 feet the Kingsford does not seem to produce as much heat as it would at sea level. The coconut lump also had a sweet smell to it when it was lighting and did not smell anywhere near as bad as Kingsford.

Overall I was very impressed with this stuff. For long cooks this is the stuff to use. It is dense and burns a long time with little ash. The biggest drawback for this stuff is its price. At $13 a box for pallet quantities it can get pretty expensive. But when comparing it to other charcoals it may not be a bad buy if you can split a pallet with someone in you area. Overall if a person is willing to spend the money and can get a hold of it from Kamado it is a great charcoal to use in the WSM. The Naked Whiz has compared it to some of the other lumps on his site. He has some pretty good info for anyone looking for the "best" lump charcoal available.
Naked Whiz Lump Database

Mark

Thanks for the info, I just got 20 boxes of this stuff from the AZ BBQ Assoc. Now I need to figure out how to get it to Oregon.

Does anyone know where you can buy some of this in the Central Ohio area? Or for that matter, does anyone know where you can buy good, dense lump charcoal in the Central Ohio area?

Thanks!

Ed....

Gordon Food Service carries Royal Oak lump. VERY good stuff.....I have been using it for several years now. It's about $10 for a 20 lb. bag.

Here is a link to GFS site...........

GFS stores in OH

Doug,
I did not notice anything that appeared to be from the charcoal. I did cook with pecan this time though. The coconut lump has a sweet smell to it almost like apple when it is first lighting. It did not seem to impart much of a taste in the meat unlike Maple Leaf briquettes that smoke quite a bit. I enjoy both charcoals (Coconut and Maple Leaf) but the extruded charcoal burns alot longer. The choice for me will be cost vs. cooking time.

Extruded coconut. Hmmmm. Sounds like it has possibilities.
I'd be willing to pay the upfront bill on a pallet delivered to my workplace if anyone in the area is interested. Just south of the 1st ave S bridge in Seattle.
Any takers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Taylor:
[qb] Ed....

Gordon Food Service carries Royal Oak lump. VERY good stuff.....I have been using it for several years now. It's about $10 for a 20 lb. bag.

Here is a link to GFS site...........

GFS stores in OH [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Stogie,

Tonight's overnight smoke is hereby dedicated to Stogie. I shall call it: Stogie's Honorary Pork Jamboree.

I went to GFS and they were selling Royal Oak lump for $7.89 per 20 pound bag. They only had one bag in stock or I would have purchased several.

Mark,

I've never heard of this stuff. Is the coal made from the shell, the "grass" in side the shell or the meat? Is it the processing that gives it a long burn or the substance itself. You mentioned times with the guru, what would you estimate without the guru?

Randy,
I believe that that the charcoal is made up of all off the leftovers when they process coconuts in Malaysia. I think most of it is the hard shell on the outside. From what I have read at the Kamado web site is that they grind up the shells, extrude it into briquettes, and then convert it into charcoal. The long burn times are attributed to the amount of pure carbon in the charcoal. Because there is no coal or other binders most of the briquette is carbon.

I would assume that the coconut lump would burn just as long without a Guru or even longer. This was my first time with the Guru and I would cause it to run the fan too much when I took the lid off to baste or flip. My temps would get high and this must have used more charcoal than normal.

You can read more about the coconut lump at Naked Whiz's web site: Lump Database

I'm going to see about getting a couple of boxes of this stuff to try out on my own. It sounds like a pretty good product, and if it works out OK I might invest in a palette unless there's someone in the Kansas City area that carries it retail. Thanks for the great review, I was wondernig how it might work in a WSM - it sounds like you could probably have used a little less for a "normal" 12-14 hour cook on something like a 5-6lb butt or brisket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back