Replacement bowl woes

James M-B

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a SS Performer with gas assist that has been used a lot, it's a DT code so 18 years old.
12 years ago I moved to a damp climate (West Scotland) and I thought it must have been dented during the move because I noticed the bowl starting to rust. It's been fine but recently has got much worse and I see that the rust is on the outside of the bowl where the grate supports are welded on the inside. I took the decison to buy a new bowl for my trusty friend and Weber CS were great and tracked down the part number (65166) and gave me a price.
The brand ne w bowl arrived and was extremely poorly enamelled - with areas around the leg sockets completely bare.
I got in touch with CS here in the UK and they duly sent me another bowl - it looks like it was shipped from the US.
I have to say the second one is not much better, BUT the enamel coating has not reached parts of the bowl on the inside of the leg sockets.
They have sent me two bowls already - should I raise the issue again or am I unlikey to get a better bowl? Am I being too picky? I am thinking that the new bowl will likely outlast the rest of the grill and I would never spot that part of the grill and it won't hold water and .....

IMG_8140[1].JPG

Actually - looking at my own photo I'm off to pass the matter to Weber Customer Services - that bowl was £130.

Were you asked to send the first replacement bowl back in exchange for the second one?

If you already have two new bowls I would be inclined not to bother any more and just use the best one. If the issue is just the leg sockets I doubt it will cause any issues. On a performer they are not weight bearing so it's just cosmetic.

If you do call them I'm curious what they have to say about it.

Were you asked to send the first replacement bowl back in exchange for the second one?

If you already have two new bowls I would be inclined not to bother any more and just use the best one. If the issue is just the leg sockets I doubt it will cause any issues. On a performer they are not weight bearing so it's just cosmetic.

If you do call them I'm curious what they have to say about it.
I was in a similar situation not long ago. Replacement bowl had questionable enamel, they sent a second replacement. I asked if they wanted the original replacement back, and they said I should either keep it or donate it.
So I guess I have a spare lol

While many here think of Weber kettles as works of art, Weber does not, and produces them primarily to be used and abused. This was recently evidenced by Tom Horsman‘s YouTube video about buying a 70th anniversary yellow kettle with similar issues right from Weber. I agree, the workmanship should be better; it’s just not. Cook away!

Keep both if you have the space, or sell one to reduce your outlay.
Use a suitable Hammerite paint to protect the exposed metal.
Hopefully last 10 years+

Back