Regulator frustration - top mod tip

James M-B

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a gen silver B and it's great apart from one fundamental fault - the regulator.
I have two different gas hoses for my grill so I can use the two different types of propane cylinder here in the UK. The Weber supplied one is for clip fit (patio gas) cylinders. My other is for regular (POL) cylinders.
I have NEVER had a problem lighting the grill with with my own hose attached.
I REGULARLY have no gas flow with the Weber original hose attached. Apparently there is some gas flow safety feature in the regulator that is designed to cut off flow in the event of a leak. All it does is prevent the grill from getting gas one time in three. I have just spent a very frustrating hour trying to light the grill. Yes I have searched the net and tried the various valve sequences (vent, pressurise, light etc) to no avail.

My next purchase will be a replacement regulator and jubilee clip to free me from this tyranny.

btw if anyone knows the secret handshake sequence for this Bl**dy regulator please let me know.

Frustrated in the UK - about to light my BGE instead!

So THAT explains the cussing with a brogue that I heard drifting over the horizon!...

You'll probably need to enlist some help from other UK members on this one. I am nearly certain that the rules for Propane & Gas hardware are probably different over there from here in the States.

You should be able to contact Weber Customer Support - they probably have people dedicated to International / UK gas, and should be able to help you.

Just to try, though: (this is how OURS work)
-Start with Burner Valves ALL OFF
-Open Gas Tank Valve
-Then open first (usually Front) Burner Valve and light it
-Once that one is going, the others should self-light as you turn them on

Hope this works

Just for the record - I got in touch with Weber CS who did get back to me with instructions (including wait times for things to re-pressurise).
They didn't work so I'll just get a new regulator.

I will add that once the grill has a gas flow it always lights first time despite the Scottish climate and next to no maintenance on my part so I can't complain that the regulator has failed as it comes up to its fifth birthday.

It has to be opened SLOWLY. Too fast and it'll lock up and you'll get very little if any gas coming through.

Shut it off, turn the burner on to empty the unit, shut the burner(s) off then turn the handle slowly to turn the gas on.

It should be normal flow at that point.

Back