Read Any Good Books Lately?

I am in the middle of Killing the Witches. I am not impressed with this Killing book as the others I have read. Still informative, but it has now veered to Ben Franklin. Not sure how it will all come together but as with every book in this series, I have learned something.

I am in the middle of Killing the Witches. I am not impressed with this Killing book as the others I have read. Still informative, but it has now veered to Ben Franklin. Not sure how it will all come together but as with every book in this series, I have learned something.
I am nearing the end. Honestly I am really enjoying how he's tying everything together. And I am seeing a lot of parallels to what is going on today.

I am nearing the end. Honestly I am really enjoying how he's tying everything together. And I am seeing a lot of parallels to what is going on today.
This book just seems somehow different from the others. Others were heavily footnoted and this has none. It is as if done by a different author. Still a worthwhile reading but not as good as others IMO, of course. I will continue with them until I have read them all. If you like history, I highly recommend "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates" by Brian Kilmeade. It also relates to a lot of current affairs.

Weird, my copy of KTW has tons of footnotes (likely why I am still reading) since I spend so much time on every other page reading the footnotes. Every bit as many as I read in Killing Patton

Weird, my copy of KTW has tons of footnotes (likely why I am still reading) since I spend so much time on every other page reading the footnotes. Every bit as many as I read in Killing Patton
Exactly. Every other Killing book has been like that. I do the Kindle versions and tapping on those footnotes sure increases the read time as well as increasing the educational value. On the others, I got to about 70% progress on the boobs and I was done, with the remainder being footnotes. This book seems longer and perhaps the footnotes were worked into the text as there are a lot of explanations and references. Two versions perhaps?

Exactly. Every other Killing book has been like that. I do the Kindle versions and tapping on those footnotes sure increases the read time as well as increasing the educational value. On the others, I got to about 70% progress on the boobs and I was done, with the remainder being footnotes. This book seems longer and perhaps the footnotes were worked into the text as there are a lot of explanations and references. Two versions perhaps?
Yeah, I am not into electronic books. I think something gets "lost in translation". I prefer an actual book and preferably in hard cover

Yeah, I am not into electronic books. I think something gets "lost in translation". I prefer an actual book and preferably in hard cover
I felt that way until the pandemic, when the libraries closed. I bought a Kindle and haven't looked back. That being said, I do prefer a hard cover book. I don't have much excuse not to read more hard cover books, because they've been open for a couple of years now and we live 2 blocks from the library:cool:

I felt that way until the pandemic, when the libraries closed. I bought a Kindle and haven't looked back. That being said, I do prefer a hard cover book. I don't have much excuse not to read more hard cover books, because they've been open for a couple of years now and we live 2 blocks from the library:cool:
Honestly if I want a book I just buy it. Only time I am in a library is when I take grandson to CV Library

Using a Kindle takes a little adjustment period, but I now prefer it. I read in bed at night and the lighting and ease of holding it compared to a book is much better. IMO, a Kindle is vastly superior to a tablet or phone to read, it is like reading a well illuminated book rather than an LED screen shining in your eyes. Another great feature is being able to tap on a word and have the definition come up in a dictionary or an explanation in Wikipedia. It is one of those items that you will not hesitate to replace if/when it breaks. And, of course, the library has digital copies of about any title you can imagine. I used to have quite a library of physical books, but when we moved, I lost most of my shelf space and donated most of my books. The Kindle takes up little space.

The only disadvantage is the ability to flip to a section easily, especially like in a manual where on line is really frustration compared to paper.

Using a Kindle takes a little adjustment period, but I now prefer it. I read in bed at night and the lighting and ease of holding it compared to a book is much better. IMO, a Kindle is vastly superior to a tablet or phone to read, it is like reading a well illuminated book rather than an LED screen shining in your eyes. Another great feature is being able to tap on a word and have the definition come up in a dictionary or an explanation in Wikipedia. It is one of those items that you will not hesitate to replace if/when it breaks. And, of course, the library has digital copies of about any title you can imagine. I used to have quite a library of physical books, but when we moved, I lost most of my shelf space and donated most of my books. The Kindle takes up little space.

The only disadvantage is the ability to flip to a section easily, especially like in a manual where on line is really frustration compared to paper.
It makes my life easier because we have a small house and I devour books. I usually checked out at least 2-3 titles on most trips to the library. There is no substitute for a Kindle when traveling.

I read books on my tablet and I have an extensive library in various formats...my favorite is EPUB, which Kindle finally supports (I think). I've got a camelcamelcamel price watch on a Kindle (this one) which went down to $100 in Oct. I have yet to figure out how I am going to manage two reading devices. I have a couple of Android apps, ReadEra and Moon+, and they sync to the cloud. Does Kindle sync with those apps?

I did that camel camel on Amazon watching the Breville coffee maker. I think this will be the one I will actually invest in new. So figured with holiday sales and such watch Amazon and see what happens. It worked once or twice now simply shows Amazon "not in stock" yet if you look on Amazon they show in stock. I can't believe Amazon does not have a "watch" function built into their site and app :mad:

I did that camel camel on Amazon watching the Breville coffee maker. I think this will be the one I will actually invest in new. So figured with holiday sales and such watch Amazon and see what happens. It worked once or twice now simply shows Amazon "not in stock" yet if you look on Amazon they show in stock. I can't believe Amazon does not have a "watch" function built into their site and app :mad:
I get that, too.
I can't believe Amazon does not have a "watch" function built into their site and app :mad:
Then everyone would be watching and no one would be buying. :D

Last edited:

Back