Raw Ham Question

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
My butcher can get raw, unseasoned/uncured ham. They look pretty thick compared to a classic pork butt. It this worth trying on the smoker? I wonder if the smole can penetrate much of the meat.
Anyone try to somke one of these?

I just did one and it came out good…..I took mine up to 195* and pulled like a but the only thing different is the muscle groups are much longer so I chopped them down some..the meat has a more delicate flavor.IMHO

Just to add, the smoke flavor is only on the surface of the meat, not in the interior. I don't believe it penetrates as far as the smoke ring does.

Bill

As Bill said smoke doesn't penetrate is is on the meat. Cook it like you would butt or a whole shoulder.
Jim

If you like Ham and the price is good, why not try curing the ham yourself and then smoking it, you will get better penetration into the meat when it has cured, than into uncured meat.

Take 7 to 10 days to wet cure it, air dry it for a day, smoke it for a day, eat it in a day (and a bit).
icon_smile.gif

Dizzy Pigs had this recipe, I followed it with the exception of time in the brine, I only go 7 - 8 days in the brine, the first one I did to 10 days, and when done I needed to rinse the slices of ham in running water to get out the "extra" salt, I didn't like.

The 7 - 8 days does well enough for our tastes, you may like it more salty, if you do you might want to go with an 8 - 10 days the first time, just to see.

Two words of warning, 1) It is addictive, once you have done it once and eaten the product, you will already be thinking about how to twist it even more to your taste. 2) The real warning word, check your cooler 3 times every day, (Morning, home from work, late at night), turn the meat over once a day, if you get a bad smell when you check the cooler, take out the meat, rinse under lots of running water, throw out the brine and steralise the cooler, make a new brine reconstruct the cooler, a bad smell caught inside an 8 - 10 hour period should be ok if you treat it this way and get on top of it quickly.

Keep the brine at the same salinity, by putting ice into ziploc bags and floating the bags in the brine, keep the brine below 40°.

Many Virginia 'country' hams are dry-cured and aged a significant period of time, not something most home cooks are equipped to do. Chris's suggestion to wet-cure is a good one.

Hams can also be cooked like loin roasts which is how I most often cook them: high heat, paste rubbed, to an internal in the 150s. I usually flavor brine prior.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Many Virginia 'country' hams are dry-cured and aged a significant period of time, not something most home cooks are equipped to do. Chris's suggestion to wet-cure is a good one.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found dry cure recipes, but when they talk about months of work, I get too hungry to continue reading them, so I look for the faster way, and the faster way is the wet cure and injection, you don't get the same results of course, but it does still turn out good ham IMO, (better ham than you can buy in the grocery store).

I love curing my own ham, but I have found that injectig around the bone and for me curing 14 days was not long enough (it was a 20+ pound ham). You will love it! Keep us posted.

Here are a few of our/my discussions on cured ham if you haven't read them yet?

Ham Debate

Ham discussion

And one of my favorite (well it has my pics on it
icon_smile.gif
)

Ham discussion and pics

Enjoy,

Josh

Back