Rakfisk

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
OK, I admit, not a grill in sight, and the preps are down to buying stuff at the store, cutting it to pieces and boil some potatoes.

But still, if you like to see what we eat during fall here in Norway, read on. If not, you know what to do.

This meal consists mainly of raw, fermented trout, made like this:

After gutting and rinsing, the fish is placed in a bucket and salted. Small amounts of sugar may be added to speed up the fermentation process. The fish is then placed under pressure with a lid that fits down into the bucket and a weight on top. A brine is formed as the salt draws moisture from the fish. The rakfisk bucket is stored at 4–8 degrees Celsius for one to three months. Be aware of botulism.

The smell can be overwhelming. The taste is- eh, the best way to describe it is salty, and a accuired taste. We do not eat this every week, a couple a times a year is enough. As you can see, we eat the fish with unions, lefse, flatbread, hard boiled eggs, boiled potatoes, an (not on this plate) mustard cream, mustard, sour cream, and dill.

Beer, and lots of akvavit, preferably the brand that has been transported over the equator twice, is the traditional drink.

2013-10-19223852_zpsdf3c86ee.jpg

By the way, here is a short video from TV. I do not own a TV, so I have never watched the show, but here are a bunch of US residents with their roots in Norway, trying out the rakfisk:

No, it's not connected to a date or a special day, but this is a meal enjoyed during fall. Mainly because that is when the weather makes it possible to make the fermented fish, traditionally. As I've mentioned, this is a meal you eat a few times during a whole year, in the same manner that you eat lutefisk, smalahove , Christmas Cod, roasted ribs and so on. Some meals mentioned are connected to Christmas eve, but we actually have few dishes connected to a special date.

I know you love your turkey meal, but it's mainly a thanksgiving traditon, right? Apart from the holidays connection, this is much of the same.

Well, on a plate it looks good Geir.
I believe that in your presence and your administration, I'm willing try this your traditional meal. But what would be my reaction, I have no idea:confused:. Cold or snow, cook on the grill my friend;).

akvavit proving that Norwegians are just as crazy and anyone else in the world.

Thanks for posting we are very lucky to have you on this board.

I always find it interesting what different cultures eat. I am not that adventurous and don't think I could try that though.

I hope you are aware of the dangers involved, making food in a environment with little or no oxygen. Here's the receipt:

Translation: R. Sørensen
The word "rak" comes from the word "rakr" in the Norse language, meaning moist or soaked (Falk and Torp: "Etymologisk ordbok over det norske og det danske sprog", 1906). The word descends from Indo-European "req", which mean source or drop, and which is also related to the word rain. We can also find the word in irrigation. The rakfisk is put into a tub and then fluids are formed, it is brined. In the oldest sources, on the other hand, the rakfisk is mentioned as "brine- cured fish". And of course, originally the fish was buried or put in underground cellars. The supposition for this conservation method is an even soil temperature at about 4 degrees Celsius, and that's why the tradition is found around the polar circle at the northern hemisphere. We know of raking of salmon, herring and shark in addition to the gwyniad and trout/char that are the most commonly used today.

You use some trout (mountain trout or char is the best), though farmed trout will also do. They should be about 750 g big.

Scrub the fish so that all the slime is gone, remove gills and guts and rinse well so that all the blood is gone. Scrub the blood stripe with a fish brush. Rinse the fish and put it in vinegar solution for about half an hour. Let the fish rest and the vinegar run off for a while.

Put the fish in a tub with strait sides. Close side by side with the abdomen up. The abdomen is filled with ocean salt, 60g per kg fish. Some sprinkle tiny amounts of sugar to speed up the raking, but not more than a pinch for each layer of fish.
Then the fish is put under pressure with a lid that fit down into the tub and a rock, and placed chilly. A stable temperature at about 4 degrees Celsius is the best, but it should at least be below 8. After a couple of days you should check if the fish is brined. If it is not enough fluids to completely cover the fish, add salt brine containing 40g salt per litre of water. Some place the fish at a higher temperature for some days to make it brine better, but that should one be very careful with.
Leave the rakfisk for two to three months. Rakfisk is well conserved in the brine. When the fish is appropriately rak, you can put it into a new 4 percent salt brine, which will slow down the rake process. An other method for slowing it down is to put the tub in the freezer - or outside if you live in a place in the world where it is stably cold for some time of the year. As long as the fish lay in the brine it will not freeze. Otherwise the rakfisk is not good for freezing.

Good luck!

I normally eat three to four fish a year prepared this way, so I buy them at the supermarket.

Last edited:
Well that sounds a hair better than lutefisk but hmmmmm, I might have to have a few beers in me before i'd get up the courage to try that.

Lutfisk is no way near the fermented options we got up here in the north. Myself cant stand surströmming or anything like that...And im sorry to say Geir,its a NO thanks from me.(although never tasted it) But thats not the important part in this post. Thanks for sharing bro!

This stuff is a tiny firecracker compared to the case of dynamite, the Surstrømming. It's not even in the same league.

And as I said, it is a acquired taste. Just thought it would be something else than all the delicious grilled and smoked meals, that's all.

Norway, Sweden and Iceland seems to be the best producers of fish delicacies. Already missing here only Hákarl;). (I had to google, I admit). Geir, you are an adventurer. Tradition is simply tradition.

I've only heard about it. The short version is that you catch a shark, slice off the fat and bury it in the ground for a long time. Dig it up and eat. I've never been to Iceland, but when my holiday budget allows me a trip, I'll sure give it a try.

I've tried Surstømming once. To be honest, I managed to eat a small piece, but I admit, it came out the same way that I put it in. Not my proudest moment.

Now, the smoked sheep's head that we make here in Norway, is way much better. Some say the eye is the best part, but others prefer the fatty parts. You can actually buy this in supermarkets.

smalahove-hi.jpg

I promise to stop posting about these foods now. I know this is a smoking and bbq- forum.

Last edited:
"I promise to stop posting about these foods now. I know this is a smoking and bbq- forum."

Too late Geir, I've already lost my supper. :p
All I can say is y'all are some hardy son of a guns!

Back