Rain in my WSM (22.5)

JHunter

TVWBB Super Fan
I went to a WSM because I wanted more capacity than my 26.5 kettle would give me. When I cook I want to cook a lot and the capacity of the 22.5 WSM was perfect. Pretty much get the fire going, and just keep adding food all day. Temperature holds just like the kettle. Its tough just like the kettle. BUT... when I am done with the kettle, I close the vents and walk away. If I do that with the WSM (and I don't go back and put the cover on which happens a lot), I come back to a water logged smoker. To me it never needed to be like this, just put the lid lip over the outside of the chamber edge. Problem solved.

Other than being diligent and putting the cover on the smoker, how do you deal with the smoker in the rain? I have thought about drilling a drainage hole in the bottom have you guys tried that? Thanks for any thoughts.

Remember if you drill a hole in the bottom, you just made one more place for air to enter.

Remember if you drill a hole in the bottom, you just made one more place for air to enter.
I know. But I think I can compensate for that with the vents. I am more worried about the rust that could come from scratching the paint.

Take the middle section, flip it upside down, re install, now the lip goes over the base edge...don't forget to close the top vent, but leave a bottom one open for circulation and to keep mold at bay....

Drilling a hole exposes raw steel. Add water and ashes ( which can be corrosive) and you might have a bigger problem later.
Go with what Geo said. That's what I do and no more water.

You guys are great! Never thought about flipping the barrel over, and it will give me a project.

Timothy I agree which is why I have held off on drilling that hole.

Back