Rack, Roll or Grate

Walter R

TVWBB Fan
I will be smoking BB ribs this weekend and wondered what the consensus is for a low slow cook. Santa brought me a Weber stainless rack, but I am also very interested in the rolling method. I also see lots of posts with the racks on the grate. I'm sure I'll try them all eventually, but would appreciate some wisdom! Also, if I use the Weber rack, is it best to half the BB rack to keep away from the sides, or is that just a high heat issue?

Walter

Walter,

I have done them both ways. IMO, the rolls take up more space, so if I want to do a larger quantity, I use the rack and cut the ribs to fit. One problem with using the rack is that I find it more difficult to "foil" (takes more foil and larger foil).
Ray

Walter,
For home consumption I roll them, and can easily fit six racks of spares on the top grate.
For competition, I use a rack and just cut off the very small bones on the one end so they fit. I don't foil unless I need to hold them in a cooler so the rack is no issue.

Welcome to the forum Walter! This is the way that works best for me Walter, 1st i do not use a water pan at all get good even cooking no burnt or overdone sides, i only use the top grate, i like to lay the rib's flat, if i need more room i just take a 2nd top grate and flip it over the original top grate double's the room can easily fit 6 bb ribs in the 18 or 8 in the 22 wsm. I have never had a problem controlling temps without the pan unless its super windy. Try different way's and see what works for you best good luck.

Wow, great answers! Looks like all 3 methods will need to be experimented with. I'll go with the rack this time since I have it. My first two cooks I did one without water(turkey) and one with (spiral ham). I found I went through fuel quicker with the water, air temps both times were 26-34 degree range days. Both came out great.
Ray, do you foil the entire rack together? Do you decide to foil by sight or is it just part of the process?
Clark, would be curious to know why you use the rack for competition and roll at home....
Noe, I like the double rack idea....some holiday excuse must be coming to grab another one!

Walter

I usually foil the entire rack with very large pieces of foil I use two sheets together to make large sheets).. I also foil by "time" using the 3,2,1 method (three hours unfoiled, two hrs foiled, last hour unfoiled).
Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
I usually foil the entire rack with very large pieces of foil I use two sheets together to make large sheets).. I also foil by "time" using the 3,2,1 method (three hours unfoiled, two hrs foiled, last hour unfoiled).
Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coming in late, but ditto for me. With my rack, I put the ribs in without cutting and really didn't like the result or the difficulty keeping everything in place. If I use it again, I'll cut the rib rack in two. But after rolling (coiling) this past weekend, that has my vote.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walter R:
Clark, would be curious to know why you use the rack for competition and roll at home.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use a rack at comps because I can get 6 racks of ribs in it and the ribs stay flat. I have found the rolled ribs tend to want to stay rolled, and when you flatten to cut them they can tear. Not good for turn in appearance!
Sometime I use a rack at home too, but they can be a PITA to clean, so I roll.

Walter, since you have a 22 WSM I say lay em flat. I prefer it to any other way. Easier to spray and glaze and they look so purdy.

Mark

Thanks all! I'm amazed by all of the different methods and clearly many years of experimenting to get your rib results. The fun part will be trying them all!! I've learned a lot and appreciate you all taking the time to help out. The WSM has about 18 inches of fresh snow on top (so far), but it will be ready to rock for the weekend.....

Enjoy!

Walter

Back