Quick tips for newbies- offer up your's

If you're cooking on a WSM, my tip would be, DON'T chase temperatures, if you want to cook at 250℉ and your cooker drops to 244, don't worry about it. Or if it goes up 258, don't worry about it. 5-10 variances in temp won't hurt your cook and
you'll stay sane a lot longer.

Some really good advice. While details are important not every detail needs to be fretted over. Remember its suppose to be fun. A lot of times we Que to gather friends/family together so whats the point if you are going to sweat over every detail, be miserable and not have a good time. Not every cook needs to be a home run, sometimes a bloop over the shortstop gets the job done!

Learn to cook without using gadgets and this includes thermometers. If you learn to cook by sight, touch and feel you can cook just about anything on anything.
While this is very true and very good advice I think using a thermometer to monitor the cooker and the meat is a very valuable aid to help people (especially those just starting out) have quick consistent success.

1. Preparation. Plan your cook. (You don't want to be running to the supermarket, all "wired", for something you have forgotten just before you start cooking).
2. Ingredients. Get the best quality you can afford.
3. Gadget. An instant read thermometer. (If you're just starting out, this will eliminate any "is this stuff safe to eat" stress).
4. Beer.
5. Have fun, relax & enjoy yourself. This is cooking, not brain-surgery. (I really enjoy the whole cooking vibe as much as the end result).
6. If it goes wrong, no problem. You'll know what not to do next time.

2. Ingredients. Get the best quality you can afford.

One of the most important things to get quality product with is your spices. Anything bought off of the shelf in your local grocery store is far beyond quality. I actually started buying my spices in bulk, from Amazon. The brand is Frontier, and they have bulk spices for excellent prices (usually 2lbs for under $20). I pair this with my foodsaver and have delicious spices that last quite a while.

There's nothing wrong with a beer or 2 but overall stay sober. Nobody benefits when the cook's too hammered to put out a decent meal or be smart about working with fire.

There's nothing wrong with a beer or 2 but overall stay sober. Nobody benefits when the cook's too hammered to put out a decent meal or be smart about working with fire.

Seriously? Some of my most epic cooks where done when I was hammered. Every one loved it, but my only problem was I couldn't remember what I did right. (for the next time):wsm:

Tim

Seriously? Some of my most epic cooks where done when I was hammered. Every one loved it, but my only problem was I couldn't remember what I did right. (for the next time):wsm:

Tim

Same goes for me. I've never been too drunk to get the meat off the WSM, or to get it sliced after resting. The rest just works itself out. :)

Learn to cook without using gadgets and this includes thermometers. If you learn to cook by sight, touch and feel you can cook just about anything on anything.

I always use a thermometer, especially when cooking chicken, don't want to get anybody sick. I have seen too many times where someone thought something was done and it wasn't. An accurate thermometer never lies!!!

Back