questions about smoking on gas grill--doing it right now!

APace

TVWBB Member
Hi-
I am attempting to smoke, then cook five pork shoulders on my gas grill right now (9 am PST)---I have done it one other time with my husband. The question I have is --is it ok for a bunch of smoke to be streaming out the back of the grill and on the side where the smoker box and burner are? I've got it turned down to low now. It just seems like so much smoke is being "wasted". :)

Thanks for the help!

Anne

Anne,while I haven't smoked anything on my gasser,extra smoke is okay. Too much smoke can make the meat bitter,so letting excess out is a good thing I think.

Where the smoke is coming out in the back of your gas grill is probably just the vent, much like it would be coming out the vent in the lid of a WSM smoker or kettle grill.
Keep an eye on your temps and your pork should be fine. Are you cooking indirect so the meat drippings are not dropping onto a live flame?

yes, that is mostly what I have done. I have 2 foil pans in the middle and I am going to see if I can keep the temp high enough with just the far right burner(that has no meat over it) and the smoker burner on. Do you think that will work? I was a little worried that the foil pans would prevent the smoke from going around the meat, and only 2 fit right in the middle because the smoker has these extensions that go about 2/3rds of the way across the front and back. They are sort of like triangular flavorizer bars connected to the smoker, they have holes in the bottom.
The smoke has died down a bit now.
I'm thinking I am going to wrap them in foil and maybe pour in some cider after about 8 hours to speed up the cooking.

another question--
it seemed like the middle of the grill wasn't getting hot enough. The grill thermometer says around 200- the oven thermometer I have on the warming rack inside says about 250- and the over thermometer I put right on the grate in the middle only says about 150. I decided to turn the very middle burner on to LOW, and tried to move the foil pans to meet right there. I hope there isn't too much grease dripping down. It seems like that must come later.
I am sure I have opened it up more than I should at this point. It's just so hard to know which thermometer I should be reading.

embed

I thought I'd try to post my first photo...

I just cant figure it out--ph well! I will have to see about one of those other sites. Onedrive would have been so easy as all my phone photos automatically upload there...

its been 9 hours and the temp is at 144---I was going to wait till it reached 150-160 to wrap in foil--at this rate its not going to be done till 1 AM--

We eat them reheated tomorrow for a family reunion. I shredded them that night and got about 22lbs. It tasted pretty good to me just plain. I think some people will put sauce on theirs.
Here is a before photo. I don't think I know what "offset" means...I think I've got alot to learn.

oops, not tomorrow--TODAY. Here is a photo, not sure how many hours in. The biggest took about 13 hours, and the others were done in about 12-12.5hrs.

The grill has a smoker box that has two triangular tubes conncected that run across the front and back about 70% of the way. They have an open end and holes on the bottom. At some point smoke comes out of the tubes, (the size of the flavorizer bars), but I tried not to peek. I used mostly Hickory, a tad of Applewood and a small chunk of Oak. It was a big babysitting job since it was hard to get the temp in the middle to be warm enough with just the two outside burners on, so I sometimes had the one in the middle on. I think this would work better with only 4 butts, then I could leave the middle burner on without worrying that the one right over it was getting too hot.

I was lucky and got it on Craigslist! I was also lucky my neighbor that has a trailer he uses to haul vintage tractors helped me get it home! There was no way it was going to get lifted into the bed of my Toyota. ;)

Back