question re: cooking brisket

Steve CT

TVWBB Member
When you guys buy a brisket what is the average size you like to get? Is there a time/weight ratio when cooking brisket... i.e. it usually runs 1 hour for every pound to cook.

Will one full load of charcole be enough for a full cook on a brisket? If not how long into the cook do you usually wait to add more charcole? How long does it take before you have to add water to the bowl?

Most of my cooks only last max 7 or so hours which is plenty for ribs and smaller items. I usually use my pig roaster for big items but thought I would try the WSM for a long cook and want to know what to expect.

1) I like 12 lb briskets, fits great on the WSM, good timing etc. Mine usually go 1:30 per lb at 225 grate.

2) Depends on size and what kind of fuel you're using, water pan or saucer etc. I routinely get 20+ hour cooks out of Rancher or ECC using clay saucer running at 225 grate. If you looking to extend your cooks and not mess with adding water try on of the dry methods. HTH.

I like the 10-12 lbers.

I high heat all of my brisket cooks.

If you cook low and slow, the time all depends on the temp cooked at.

It could be anywhere from a little less than an hour p/lb to 1.5 hours p/lb.

I also do high heat on my briskets, usually run right around 4-4 1/2 hours. I have done them from 8 pounds up to a giant 18.88 pounder. I would say that any in the 12-14 pound range are best because they fit real nice. The behemoth one I did I really had to smash it onto the grate to get the lid on, but it was a tasty bugger!

With the 10-12 pounders does that include the flat and everything? basically is it tuff to find a full brisket in the 10-12 pound range... I usually see them bigger, but that just could be where I get my meats from.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With the 10-12 pounders does that include the flat and everything? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, that would be a whole packer.

All mine have been the flats at around 10 to 12 lbs. Usually takes about 8 to 10 hours at 250 or so. ALl have been good. The time also depends on the meat. No two are alike, and that does have an impact on the time of the cook.

I like to do full briskets. I love the point. I would rather buy just the point than the flat. Like everyone else have stated each cook is different. Try the minion method and you should get much longer cooks than 7 hours. I have gone 19 hours for a pork butt and had a bit left over.

Oh no, the 7 hours just means that when I do ribs or so my average cook lasts 6-7 hours. I have a lot of charcoal left over with a 6-7 hour cook. I was just wondering with a 14 hour cook do you need to add charcoal or can you make the whole cook last with the one and only load for the minion method?

Like I said when I do pulled pork I usually do a lot at once... like 6 10 to 12 pound roasts and I do them on my pig roaster. I have not done any long cooks with the WSM so I was just wondering on cooking times and the addition of coal. I would imagine you still would need to add water at least 1 or 2 times for a 14 hour cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Collier:
All mine have been the flats at around 10 to 12 lbs. Usually takes about 8 to 10 hours at 250 or so. ALl have been good. The time also depends on the meat. No two are alike, and that does have an impact on the time of the cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy COW!!!! Biggest flat I have ever seen would be around 8-9 lbs. You SURE those are flats?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Hutson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Collier:
All mine have been the flats at around 10 to 12 lbs. Usually takes about 8 to 10 hours at 250 or so. ALl have been good. The time also depends on the meat. No two are alike, and that does have an impact on the time of the cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Holy COW!!!! Biggest flat I have ever seen would be around 8-9 lbs. You SURE those are flats? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with David - I can usually find flats anywhere from 8lbs - 14lbs at BJ's. I have never cooked a whole packer - can't find them

same here Dave. We need to move! lol. In general a huge packer is 19 lbs. around here. That was so big to me that I had my girlfriend take a picture w/ her cell phone and all I could do was laugh at it it was so big looking. those are big flats to me! cool!

i look for the biggest packers at super walmart and usually end up buying 2 - 1 to cook and 1 for the freezer for another day

Back