Q100 refurbish

Awesome rehab. What kind of paint is that. I like that color of red.
Thanks! It is rust oleum red caliper paint. It is a very bright red, but with just one coat over the black it gives a really cool effect, almost like a marbling or hammered look, making it a lot more of a dark crimson

Used it with him on the job the last 2 days, I was disappointed that it was taking FOREVER to heat up and it was being finicky with lighting. Bright it back and compared to another 100 I have in the garage I noticed the flange was much lower. Compared the nozzle and the newer one looked a slight bit larger. I VERY SLIGHTLY reamed the nozzle on this one with an acetylene torch cleaner. 100% better, lights super fast and heats up to over 500* in under 5 minutes. Working with him again tomorrow, quite curious to see how it does!

Before

1000004571.jpg

After1000004572.jpg

What source were you running it on? If a 1lb bottle it could have been low, frozen, etc. If on a large bottle with an adapter that can be an issue. THose things cause all kind of issues and hogging out the orifice is not the fix. It's like taking a sledge hammer to drive a nail. If it turns out you went over board you can let me know. Happy to mail you a new one

Last edited:
What source were you running it on? If a 1lb bottle it could have been low, frozen, etc. If on a large bottle with an adapter that can be an issue. THose things cause all kind of issues and hogging out the orifice is not the fix. It's like taking a sledge hammer to drive a nail. If it turns out you went over board you can let me know. Happy to mail you a new one
Had the same results with a 1 lb bottle or 20 lb. I'm actually suspecting it's a cheap replacement part that isn't QUITE right. Comparing it to what I'm sure is an original Weber part on the other one I'm relatively certain they are the same diameter now. I tried swapping the orifices but the Weber part wouldn't fit the replacement on this one. I had both grills and bottles in my heated garage, everything was at a nice 65* so I was able to limit the variables. They both work identical now, same flange height on the replacement and the Weber original. I can actually get this one a slight bit lower than the Weber original now. Thanks for the offer though!

And it lights amazingly now
Excellent! At least you were able to conduct a controlled experiment. Go a little at a time, and get the right results. It's how I converted my 320 to NG. I made all the calculations from the BTU/Conversion charts, mic'd my bits used to be sure, and went slightly smaller, working my way up to what the charts called for and tested the grill every step of the way. I don't like to go over board on these things. Because while I know ratings can be conservative I am sure Weber designs a tolerance. So, I look very carefully at flame propogation, burn quality and temps. Good work!

You have to be really careful and not give in the temptation to super charging these Q grills. They are made to run up to a certain heat level and anything above that, they WILL melt down. Especially if you leave them running for an extended period. I had a Q2xx do that when I accidentally left it on overnight. It had melted into the plastic frame about 3/4". If it had totally given out, my deck would have become the next thing to go.

I had been running it on a regulator that I knew was running higher than it should. But, I really liked the fast heat ups and the ability sear like a pro. It ran great for half hour cooks for a year or so before I had the near nuclear melt down. After that, I put a different regulator on it that was the correct pressure. And, really, I didn't think the flames were all that much higher with the old one. But it made a big difference in temps.

Back