Prime Rib Question

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
We have a lovely ~11 lb bone in prime rib we are doing tomorrow. The problem is that some of us want it med-rare and the rest want it med-well. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

M D, I would cook the meat at a higher temp in the mid-300's rather than at 250 or so. That way you can serve the medium-well portions from the ends and the medium-rare from the center. If the meat turns out still too rare, it is not unheard of to pop the plate (1 portion) into the microwave for 20 seconds or so ON 60-70% POWER to barely change the color. The timing will depend on the wattage of your microwave.

Lower cook temps produce a roast with an overall similarly-done meat.

Merry Christmas!
Rita

You can cut it in half and start one half earlier than the other. Alternatively, you can go for med-rare and as Rita says, the ends will be more well done than the center. Then if someone needs it a little more well done, use your grill. We did that once and even though I was appalled at people grilling my prime rib, they enjoyed it very much.

Well, Jerry, that's a good idea about cooking one half a little longer. That way you could still cook at a lower temperature (my preferred method) and have the meat at the desired doneness all the way through, from outer edge to the other outer edge, rather than pink centers and well-done outer edges.

I was just trying to be a bit more subtle about it so that M D could slip that too-rare portion into the microwave for a few seconds (on the sly) and claim that he had the medium-well one ready all along.
icon_wink.gif

I've heard of a restraunt in Chicago? that serves an outstanding prime rib. From what I was told from someone that ate there is they are low & slow cooked rare, sliced and grilled to order.

If anyone knows of this or has more info, love to hear about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Wheeler:
I've heard of a restraunt in Chicago? that serves an outstanding prime rib. From what I was told from someone that ate there is they are low & slow cooked rare, sliced and grilled to order.

If anyone knows of this or has more info, love to hear about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just did it that way for our Christmas Dinner. It came out great, and was a big hit. Here's my post about it.

OK,
Here is the story! We cut part off of the pirme rib and put it on early, about 45 min. then put the rest on. It al turned out perfect! Thanks for your help!!!!

Back