Prepping pork shoulder

Allyn

Just wondering if I should trim some of the fat off or would it hurt cooking time not to trim it off?

It is a matter of personal choice. Some people take off the full fat cap. I may trim a few large pieces on the surface but I typically just take it out of the cryovac, rinse it, rub it, and put it on the smoker.

I've done it both ways. I've settled on trimming it off. I figure there's enough marbling running thru which provides enough fat in the final product. Besides, when I pull, I don't want all that fat in the finished product and I do want the bark so I remove it to begin with.

I trim the cap but not picky about getting it all. Get more bark by removing fat. Butts seem to have enough to stay tender and juicy anyway.

Originally posted by Matt Westendorf (Westy):
On a pork shoulder I leave mine on and put the fat cap grill side down.

Me too. Usually there's not much bark down there anyway as everything drips off, so there's no harm in having some fat down there.

Originally posted by Dwain Pannell:
I've done it both ways. I've settled on trimming it off. I figure there's enough marbling running thru which provides enough fat in the final product. Besides, when I pull, I don't want all that fat in the finished product and I do want the bark so I remove it to begin with.

Me, too.

Back