Preferred Way To Eat Pork Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dry pork on sesame seed bun, then pour thin sauce on pork to taste (I like Curley's Mesquite for pork sammiches). No coleslaw fer me thanx.

..with cheese and beer of course
icon_razz.gif

It's a tie between ABT's..and on a white bun with a little BBQ sauce .....(fried long hot pepper on the side).

We like to eat pulled pork on sandwich rolls from Costco with thinly sliced provalone cheese. I then spoon on a 50/50 mix of Sweet Baby Rays & Hot Bone Suckin' Sauce.
Wow I'm hungry even though I just ate lunch 2 hours ago.

I can assure you that no one in the Carolina's uses Sweet Baby Rays on pulled pork...ribs, maybe....there was a guy who did a few years ago, but we shipped him off to New York. Think his name was Bobby Flay or something.

Anway, any soft white bread is fine down here.
Load with q, douse with the thin vinegar sauce, top with slaw and the other piece of bread....
Great texture and taste without covering up the smoky flavor of the pork.

By the way, what is Georgia mustard sauce....any different that South Carolina style?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Cole slaw was mentioned in a few of the posts. Do you guys put it on the sandwich???? or do you eat it on the side?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave, you mentioned this about the slaw. Maybe some clarification is needed, maybe not. If I'm not mistaken, the slaw that is topping pulled pork in this group is chopped cabbage with vinegar and rub mixed in with it. Not the cole slaw that is miracle whip or mayo based that sells in the stores. Cider vinegar based slaw on pulled pork between some slabs of white bread is a wonderful experience.

My favorite way is to slap a bunch of that pork on a bun, put a good squirt of vinegar-based sauce on top, and then a small handful of slaw on top, I like a buttermilk-based slaw, because it marries well with the vinegar in the sauce, there are some good recipes at allrecipes.com, and no offense to Mr. Rempe, but if you break out Sweet Baby Ray's in the Carolinas, you better do it in private, 'cause the only thing that'll get you in more trouble is using Miracle Whip in the slaw instead of DUKE's Mayonnaise!!!!
That being said, I think Sweet Baby Rays is a great tomato-based-sauce...I lived in Kansas City as well as the Carolinas, just prefer the good bite of a vinegar-sauce
icon_biggrin.gif

A potato roll is a hamburger roll or hotdog roll that is made from potatoes and or potato flour instead of wheat flour. Martin's potato rolls are huge here. If you ever ate one you would know why.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Well we pulled out a foodsaver bag from the freezer of the pulled pork that I had smoked Sunday. Put the bag in boiling water for about 20 minutes, slapped it on a potato roll, (unfortunately not Martin's, don't have them here), a little vinegar based slaw (thanks Owen) and topped it off with some Famous Dave's sweet BBQ sauce. Thats livin!!!! The pork was moist and tender. Thanks for all the sugestions!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron F:
what are some vinegar based sauces available at the local grocer?

ron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question...anyone?

I've never seen any. But then again I live in Washington state.
icon_redface.gif

It's easy enough to make yourself.

NC Eastern style sauce
1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
Makes 2 Cups

Another variation

NC -Style BBQ Sauce
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Sometimes I'll put a little ketchup in it (about 4 Tbsp). Seems to meld the flavors a little.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron F:
what are some vinegar based sauces available at the local grocer?

ron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my favorite. It's a little hot. I also add it to my slaw when I make it.

http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

I just moved to VA ~6months ago, the only grocer here that carries it, that I have found is Foodlion but it was sold in most in NC. I ordered a case directly from Scotts before I found it in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back