Potatoes on the WSM - any success stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Vrobel

TVWBB Member
A while back I tried the smoked potato recipe in Smoke and Spice. I didn't like the result - the potatoes were too smoky, and not cooked enough.

I'm thinking of trying it again this weekend while cooking a Meatloaf. Has anyone had good results cooking potatoes on their WSM? If so, what did you do?

Mike,
I checked my Smoke and Spice book, but I could not determine which recipe you used. Besides from the obvious, of wrapping the whole Potatoes in foil, to avoid the smokiness,here is one we do. Look for "Red Potato Bundles" in the recipe section. This time of the year is great for getting fingerling, or new, red potatoes. If you do not have a kettle, just leave these in the WSM a bit longer since you will be cooking at lower temps.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I checked my Smoke and Spice book, but I could not determine which recipe you used. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm at work right now, and the book's at home. From a quick look at Amazon's "Look inside the book" feature, it looks like I used the smoked spud skins recipe. It's been a while (two years?) so I don't remember the details. I'll check the book when I get home and see if it shakes any memories loose.

This worked quite well for me the 2 or 3 times I tried it. I suspect that the water keeps the potatoes from picking up too much smoke. I can't remember where I picked up this idea. The Sour Cream Potatoes comes from a Doug McLendon class I took several years ago. I find that smoked foods are good with a creamy side dish.

WATER PAN SMOKED POTATOES

Makes great German Fries (sliced) or Hash Browns (cubed). Toss with a blue cheese sauce or butter or see the recipe for Sour Cream Potatoes below.

Scrub, but don't peel 1 pound medium-sized new potatoes, or quarter 4-6 large red or white potatoes. Check water level in smoker's water pan to cover potatoes and slip them into the water with tongs. Cook about 1 1/4 hours or until done. Quickly reach through side door with tongs and remove a potato; test with the tip of a thin, pointed knife.

SERVE whole, quartered, sliced, diced, or mashed.

I've found that whole red potatoes (3-4 oz each, 2-2 1/4" diameter/max) take about 1 hour.

-------------------------------------------
SOUR CREAM SMOKED POTATOES

Sauce is enough for about 8-12 ounces potatoes, 2-3 servings.

1 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground black or green peppercorns
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives, to taste
Pinch chopped fresh thyme, optional
2-3 tablespoons sour cream, or as much as you feel is decent
Water Pan Smoked Potatoes

SOUR CREAM SAUCE. In a small bowl, combine the salt, black or green pepper, chives, and sour cream. Set aside until just before serving time.

When they are tender, remove the potatoes from the water pan with tongs or a Chinese drainer that will fit through the side door of the smoker. Set aside until just before serving time.

(The recipe can be prepared up to this point and the potatoes can be left at room temperature up to 5 hours before serving.)

Final Cooking

1. If necessary, reheat potatoes gently in the microwave or in a pot with a tablespoon or so of water until heated through. Drain.

2. Add the sauce to the potatoes in the pot and heat over low heat until just heated through and combined. DO NOT BOIL.
---------------------
Rita

Jim: Well, I looked at Smoke & Spice last night, and I can't find any evidence of a 'cooked whole potato' recipe. I'm guessing my attempt was inspired by the smoked potato skins recipe.

I did find a very similar recipe to what I did in How To Grill. In it, he just rubs oil on the potatoes and puts them on the grill or smoker for an hour to two hours.

Rita: Water pan smoked potatoes? I saw something like this when I did a search of the archives, but the thought of eating something out of the greasy, smoky, simmering mess that is my water pan was a little too much for me. Now I'm starting to wonder - how bad would it be? How do potatoes cooked in your water pan taste?

I'm thinking I may have to have a potato cook off this weekend. Any other cooking suggestions?

Mike,
Here are my suggestions for a few things to experiment with.
Try putting a couple of nekid potatoes on the cooker, after you have burned your flavor wood,ie. at the tail end of your cook. Wrap two more in foil, and put them on the cooker. If the nekid taters are too smokey, you still have something to eat. The foiled ones will have soft skins, that's just the nature of the beast. I also have another recipe posted in the recipe section called, Smoked Mashed Potatoes, that might provide you with further fun and information. Might as well celebrate, since Mr. Potato Head just recently celebrated his 50th Birthday. Me, I got Chicken and Ribs going on the cooker Saturday. Ribs on top, Kelly. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jim

Michael,
I think I did those potatoes while I was smoking a turkey and the water wasn't all that greasy. (Of course my water pan was impeccably clean.) I know it sounds gross, but it's not all that different from putting potatoes under a beef or pork roast, chicken, turkey, or duck that's roasting in the oven. Actually, since the fat floats on top of the water, they probably absorb less fat than with the oven method and would be tastier if the water is flavored with some of the rub. I remember that they tasted pretty good, and I might have used the leftovers for a potato salad or hash browns. My notes in those days weren't as good as they've gotten since I joined Chris's distinguished group!

Jim,
I just checked my "Clippings" file and found the same Dallas recipe. If both of us thought enough of it to save it, it has to be worth trying. I'm going to put it on my "next" list.

Rita

Rita,
Sounds like a plan.
I'm doing a cook on Saturday, so I will try the Smoked Mashed Potato Recipe. Will report back.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ribs on top, Kelly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks, Jim! ;

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back